Railroad Bed Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52730°N / 76.9316°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow directions on the main page in the "Getting There" section to Woodside Station.

Route Description


This route travels as the name suggests, the old railroad bed of the Lykens Valley Railroad along the base of Berry Mountain. It gives access to all the main trails on the mountain and is a beautifully maintained trail. The trail goes from Woodside Station to Lenkerville, just south of Millersburg. It is maintained by the Ned Smith Center for Nature and the arts which sits across the creek.

The route winds along the Wicinisco Creek and is a nice woods walk. It gives access to the steep ascent up Berry Mountain via the Powerline Trail. The trail gains very little elevation due to the fact that it was an old railroad bed, but it is very fine for a nice hike into PA's woodlands. It is two miles in length one way.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, snack/water, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.