Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52730°N / 76.9316°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1436 ft / 438 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Berry Mountain is just a hill, but it's similar to what covers the rest of the central Pennsylvania region, a Mid-atlantic mountain. It is a great place to enjoy PA's forest scenery. This mountain creates the southern border of Millersburg along the Susqehanna River.

Another member of the ridge and valley province of PA in the southcentral part of this state, this mountain has much to offer in the way of hiking. With over twenty miles of trails on the mountain you can probably understand what I mean. The most dramatic part of this mountain is its western face along the river as it drops precipitously down into the meandering current. There are some definite class 3 sections up this section of the mountain. For an easier hike to the top you can select one of the many other trails.
Berry Mountain photo_id=119886
Millersburg is the home of famous wildlife artist, Ned Smith. It is also home to the only stern-wheeler ferry boats still operating in the U.S. The town also has many little shops, a museum, and a historic railroad station. The Ned Smith Center for Nature and the Arts has recently bought most of Berry Mountain just to the southeast of town. They will be building a new Gallery to house his works along with a nature center and theatre to the north of Wicinisco Creek at the base of the mountain.

Berry Mountain has long been a place of recreation for many people in the region including Ned Smith who spent much of his life wandering the mountain. The Berry Mountain Trail extends from the head of the mountain in Lenkerville and is now connected to the Ned Smith Center for Nature and Arts which will soon have its' first phase of building completed. The center also has a network of short hiking trails that head up the mountain and are there thanks to the efforts of Wesley Hoffman. Berry Mountain is a wonderful place to hike and enjoy the views of the surrounding valleys and mountains.

The Changing Seasons


There are many beautiful times of the year to be in PA's southcentral mountains!

Getting There


Berry Mountain photo_id=177591
To get to Berry Mountain, it takes about 20-25 minutes from Harrisburg to get to the trailhead: From I-81 get off on the Lewistown exit at Harrisburg and onto Route 322 west. Continue driving until you get to the sign at Clarks Ferry for Route 147, which is approximately 8-10 miles. Drive north on Route 147 until you get to a mini-plaza where you'll find a road branching to the right to go into the parking lot. It's on your right when approaching from the south. Take this road south. At the first stop sign continue straight and go all the way up the hill past the school. At the school the road curves left and you should take the first right. follow this road as it starts to wind up the mountain. The dirt road will head east up the mountain and it will end after about a mile. This is the trailhead. From the north head south on 147 until you get to the mini-plaza on the left and follow the above directions.

Red Tape


No permits are required for the area but as a member of the community we ask that you take in and take out all of your garbage. In fact pick up garbage found along the way to make it a better place for others to enjoy.

"Leave only footprints. Take only memories. Please leave the flowers and plants for others to see and enjoy."
Berry Mountain photo_id=207923

When To Climb


Anytime

Camping


Camping is allowed but there are no huts or shelters. It is asked as stated above that you clean up all that you take in. Leave the area looking better after you leave than it did when you arrived.

Mountain Conditions


For weather conditions contact the National Weather Service for the greater Harrisburg Area. You can also visit Millersburg.com for more current weather information.
For current conditions in the area click on the link below!
weather.com

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jun 1, 2004 10:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/17061?lswe=17061&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central MountainsMountains & Rocks