Richard Lowe

Richard Lowe

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 25, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Chistmas in Hawaii

Getting to the top of Mauna Kea is quite easy with a 4WD vehicle, we had a Jeep Wrangler. The turnoff onto Summit Rd. from Saddle Road is clearly marked with signs. The Mauna Loa turnoff is just before the Mauna Kea turnoff on the opposite side of Saddle Road. The first 6 miles are paved up to the visitor center. Spend at least half an hour here to acclimate as much as possible since coming from sea level in Hilo. The next 4 miles is a loose graveled road wide enough for 2 vehicles most of the way with only rare instances where it is not. The last 4 miles is paved once again since leased by the University from here to the top. It is a total of 12miles from Saddle Rd. on Summit Rd. to the top. Once on the top, park by one of the telescope observatories, and hike not even a quater of a mile down and up to the top to the east. Respect the land and the culture of the are, don't leave trash, only peace offering in which are biodegradable at the top.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mauna KeaTrip Reports