Riedberger Horn

Riedberger Horn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.45128°N / 10.15931°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5860 ft / 1786 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Riedberger Horn and GrauensteinRiedberger Horn and Grauenstein

Riedberger Horn (sometimes Riedbergerhorn) is the ighest summit of Hörnergruppe, one of the two prealpine subranges east of the Iller River in the Allgäu Alps. It is a grass mountain, popular at all times of the year. In winter it is known as one of the most excellent ski tour / snowshoe summits which can be easily reached from the small ski area of Grasgehren at its southern base. Riedberger Horn has been called Germany's most interesting ski mountain. The mountain can be reached from across any of its five ridges, which turn rather steep when closing in to the summit. The abundance of lesser (lower) summits in Riedberger Horn's vicinity offers good combination opportunities. Rarely will you ascend and decend Riedberger Horn using the same route.

Riedberger Horn, like all of its neighbours in Hörnergruppe as well as the northern Nagelfluhkette is composed of Flysch, a rapidly eroding kind of limestone. This at the same time accounts for the round top of the mountain as well as the abundance of alpine flowers which you'll find on its slopes in spring and early summer. Much like the mountains on the far side of the Iller River, which are composed from Mergel, on Riedberger Horn you can find Gentian, Stella Alpina, or rare mountain orchids.
Riedberger Horn
Raven on the summit cross of Riedberger Horn
Grauenstein

However, the biggest attraction about Riedberger Horn is the fact that it stands above its lower neighbours to the north of the main parts of the Allgäu Alps. It is doubtful whether there can be a better lookout summit. The complete range can be seen from its top and on clear days you can see as far as Lake Constance and the Rätikon Range in the south-east. Main attraction, however, are the local mountains, which form a 3/4 circle around Riedberger Horn, like a giant amphitheatre.

In winter, the ski tour to more than one of the summits of Hörnergruppe, mostly including Riedberger Horn is called Allgäuer Hörnertour and has been descibed in ski tour guidebooks. The tour is not marked, but often follows summer hiking trails.

360° Summit Panorama

360° summit panorama from Riedberger Horn

Getting There

Riedberger Horn and GrauensteinRiedberger Horn and Grauenstein

Riedberger Horn can be reached from the dead end Iller Valey in the Allgäu Alps. The closest airports are at Stuttgart and Munich, both cities being connected by motorway A8.
  • Take motorway A8 to the intersection Kreuz Ulm-Elchingen.
  • Turn onto motorway A7 south, direction Kempten and Füssen.
  • At the intersection Dreieck Allgäu switch to A980.
  • A few km later turn onto B19, direction Oberstdorf.
  • At Fischen turn onto OA9, direction Riedbergpass.
  • In the saddle turn right into Grasgehren.

Red Tape

Westward viewSummit cross and view to the west (Switzerland)

There's no red tape here. Riedberger Horn stands above the ski area of Grasgehren and there are very few restrictions. In winter stay clear of the ski runs, in summer also keep to the paths and tracks as the area is used for cattle grazing.

Accommodation

Hörnergruppe seen from Riedberger Horn

You can choose between campgrounds, farm holidays, vacation homes and hotel rooms on most of the sites of the Allgäu villages. Good starting points for your search are:

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Allgäuer Alpen / Kleinwalsertal
    1:50000
    Kompass Map WK 3
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 3-85491-005-3
  • Alpenvereinskarten : Allgäu-West
    1:25000
    Deutscher Alpenverein
    ISBN: 3928777130


Books


  • Allgäuer Alpen und Ammergauer Alpen Alpin
    D. Seibert
    Alpenvereinsführer
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-1126-2
  • Allgäu 1 - Oberallgäu und Kleinwalsertal
    D. Seibert
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4289-3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.