Rote Saule

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.03974°N / 12.35031°E
Activities Activities: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9252 ft / 2820 m
Sign the Climber's Log

MORE INFO WILL FOLLOW

Add External Links text here.

Overview

The Rote Saule is a rock formation in the Virgental close to the Sajathut. This mountain is specialy known for the klettersteig/via ferrata that go's up to the summit. This via ferrata has difficulty D-E, but there is also a easyer way that meets the mainroute halfway. The biggest difficulties are three iron ladders going straight up and one hangs over. The higher part of the route is nice rock climbing secured by iron cables.

From the summit you will have a good view to the Gross Venediger and surrounding mountains of the Venediger Range.

There is also a "normal" route to the summit. This route can be used for descent after the via ferrata. This route is at parts secured with iron cables but not difficult and can be used as a easyer way up the Rote Saule.

Getting There/Topo

From the city of Matrei am Osttirol you go into the Virgental. From Pragraten or Bichl you can follow the marked path to the Sajathut.The rote Saule is direct behind the Sajathut.

For details and a good topo see:

Topo Rote Saule

Camping

As base for the Rote Saule you can stay at the Sajathut.
In this hut you can also hire equipment for via ferrata. It takes 2,5 till 4 hours to reach this hut.

http://SajatHut

What you need...

You need good mountainshoes for climbing in rock, via ferrata set, helm.
Its not a long trip but take always some food, enought water and rainclothes on your trip.

Easyer step in.

The easyer step in to the via ferrata of Rote Saule is some more on the right corner. A path is leading to there.

Normal route or descent route pictures.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Venediger GROUPMountains & Rocks