Scrambling The South Twin

Scrambling The South Twin

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

July 3, 2010

Exposure On The South Twin
Gimpilator Makes A Move...


The purpose of this album is to show the terrain on the west ridge of the South Twin Sister. At the time of this posting there are very few images of the actual scramble route. I hope this collection of photographs will be helpful to those who plan to climb the South Twin in the future.

Swirling Fog Below


Our 2010 attempt on the summit was unsuccessful. The cause of our failure was the lack of an early start and this misjudgment put us near the summit around 5pm. The orange-yellow rock in the Twin Sisters range is primarily composed of Olivine and makes for very solid scrambling. In fact everywhere you place your hands it feels like 50-grit sand paper.

Edward Earl  In Action
Scramble Fun


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
awilsondc

awilsondc - Sep 3, 2012 11:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Helpful

Thanks for making this album. I've had my eye on this route for years now. I hope to make it up there soon and I have a much better idea of what to expect now.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 4, 2012 8:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Helpful

I'm glad you found it useful. I actually went back to finish the route a few weeks ago. There's a trip report and video you can see here. I hope to post the same content on SP as well but I'm way too busy outside with the good weather lately.

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 4, 2012 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Helpful

I also went back and successfully summited this peak, just last week. The conditions are perfect for an ascent, currently. You could do it as one very long day, but I would recommend camping/bivying at the base of the West Ridge slopes in one of the nice mini-basins. If bivying, you can also find some great spots on the ridge crest, itself, early on.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Sep 6, 2012 12:21 am - Voted 10/10

I'm jealous

that you both got to summit just recently! Thanks for the video link gimpilator, the video is awesome! Looks like a great day you guys had. I also like the idea of doing this as an overnighter Redwic. I just pulled off a 16 mile, 10 hour day trip last weekend, and those long days can be pretty rough toward the end. Thanks again guys.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I'm jealous

Thank you. I'm glad you like the video. It's a lot of fun to make those.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.