Sentiero Attrezzato "Franco Galli"

Sentiero Attrezzato "Franco Galli"

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.82530°N / 11.11210°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EEA - Easy Via Ferrata
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sentiero Attrezzato "Franco Galli"

This itinerary leads to the summit of Corno Battisti 1761 m, formerly Corno di Vallarsa, and subsequently, as additional goal, to the summit of Monte Spil 1703 m. Both the summits belong to the Pasubio Group, in the area of the Prealpi Vicentine. Notwithstanding its imposing and impressive rocky feature when viewed from Vallarsa, Corno Battisti hasn't a particular mountaineering importance, however it's historical importance is great. In the described ascent, a loop of about 10 km, the Corno Battisti and the neighboring Monte Spil are climbed following the "Franco Galli" Path, a partially equipped route starting from Tezze, a hamlet of Valmorbia in Vallarsa, a green valley entirely situated in the Trentino territory.

A chamois captured along the Sentiero Franco Galli
A chamois captured along the Sentiero Franco Galli
Nearing the walls, Sentiero Franco Galli
Nearing the walls

Getting there

The starting point to the "Corno Battisti-Monte Spil" crossing is the village of Valmorbia in Vallarsa, Trento province.

Valmorbia, the paint dedicated to the poet Eugenio Montale
Valmorbia, the paint dedicated to the poet Eugenio Montale

 

 

Road access to Valmorbia

From A22 Autobrennero Motoway exit Rovereto (201 m) and take the SS46 driving along the scenic road of Vallarsa; after San Colombano, where it's situated an ancient hermitage, the road is running across some small hamlets, getting Valmorbia 649 m, a little village celebrated by the famous poet Eugenio Montale, who fought on Corno Battisti. In Valmorbia leave the main road and turn to left, reaching the small hamlet of Tezze. Continue about 500 meters after Tezze and leave your car in a small parking lot just before the access ban.

Cappello di Pulcinella seen from the first tunnel
Cappello di Pulcinella seen from the first tunnel
Sentiero F. Galli, the exit from the tunnel at the junction
Sentiero F. Galli, the exit from the tunnel at the junction

Route Description

Sentiero Attrezzato "Franco Galli" from Tezze

Summit quote: 1761 m
Difficulty: EEA
Difference in level: 1000 m
Starting point: Tezze m 723, a hamlet near Valmorbia

An advisable round trip, combining the natural beauties with the strong historical interest for a mountain symbol of the WWI on Pasubio

Corno Battisti seen from Valmorbia
Corno Battisti seen from Valmorbia
Alm on Monte Spil
Alm on Monte Spil

From the parking lot continue along the forest road, reaching at about 780 meters of altitude an obvious junction, where we ignore on the left the path n. 123 to Monte Spil, which we choose to follow during the way back. Thus we continue to the right on the path n. 122, rising steeply and directly into the thick woods of the Val di Grobe, reaching Malga Trappola 1316 m and then the namesake saddle at 1405 m. Here our path joins the path 122b rising from Anghebeni and the thick forest opens, allowing to take a look over the surrounding peaks. From Sella Trappola the path heads to the left and opposes some more demanding stretch, two of which are equipped with a fixed iron rope. Along the path we notice the works done during the Great War (tunnels and trenches) and soon we reach an unpredictable crossroads which on the left indicates the Cappello di Pulcinella (Pulcinella Hat), a panoramic balcony that can be reached with a short digression. Return to the crossroads and take the right path getting the basal wall of Corno Battisti.

Sentiero F. Galli, the forest trail

The forest trail

Remains of WWI on Sentiero Galli

Remains of WWI

War tunnel on Sentiero Attrezzato F. Galli

War tunnel

Pozzo della Carrucola

Pozzo della Carrucola

Signpost at the exit of Pozzo della Carrucola

Signpost at the exit of Pozzo della Carrucola

Exit of Pozzo della Carrucola

Exit of Pozzo della Carrucola

The itinerary follows now a series of stairs with rock steps and tunnels, alternate with stretches on grass and gravel, then it reaches the entrance to the big gallery named "Bocca del Leone", one of the most important fortifications in the area. The tunnel enters the bow of the mountain with a staircase of about 100 steps, illuminated by some small cracks, at the end of which it comes out on a terrace where we can see the great WWI frieze remembering the 33rd and the 160th Miners Companies who performed the work. Now it begins another gallery, similar but shorter than the previous one, leading to a fork, where there are two possibilities: to the right the dark tunnel climbs steeply inside the mountain (necessary a front light), while to the left the path exits outdoors. If we continue straight on, we follow the steep path equipped with a fixed rope inside the tunnel, reaching a next junction with the indication to the equipped staircase of Pozzo della Carrucola. We descend the metal stairs of the famous and a bit awesome Pozzo della Carrucola, well equipped with a fixed rope, and then we leave the system of the galleries, exiting outdoor. A path heading to the right leads to the summit ridge. Once on the summit ridge take to the right the path to the top of Corno Battisti.

Corno Battisti summit crest

Corno Battisti summit crest

Corno Battisti summit benchmark

Corno Battisti summit benchmark

Selletta Battisti

Selletta Battisti

Selletta Battisti

Selletta Battisti

WWI memorial on Selletta Battisti

WWI memorial on Selletta Battisti

Monte Spil

Monte Spil

From the summit of Corno Battisti descend back along the crest and continue in the direction of the Selletta Battisti 1740 m, where it's placed a plaque in memory of an Italian officer dead during the battle for the conquest of Monte Corno and two stone logs in memory of the capture of Cesare Battisti and Fabio Filzi, happened on the Corno, later dedicated in memory of the patriot and martyr Cesare Battisti. From the Selletta Battisti continue to follow the crest on the path 119b, almost flat, leading to the Passo Menderle 1679 m, where it starts the trail 123 descending to Tezze and allowing to complete the ring itinerary. Before the descent it's possible to reach with a short deviation even the beautiful summit of Monte Spil. Once returned to the Passo Menderle take the well worn path 123, at first descending steeply on scree terrain beneath the rocky foothills of Mount Spil, then proceeding in the forest and leading to cross the path 122 near the parking lot, which is reached in about 10 minutes.

Autumn on Monte Spil
Autumn on Monte Spil
Monte Spil summit view
Monte Spil summit view

Essential Gear

Safety lanyard, harness, some carabiners, helmet, indispensable the front lamp

Red Tape

Pasubio and the whole Prealpi Vicentine are a Natural Reserve, anyhow there is no particular restriction in climbing and hiking.

When to climb

Autumn scenery on the way to Corno Battisti
Autumn scenery on the way to Corno Battisti

 

 

Best season goes from May to October

Where to stay

The close town of Rovereto offers several possibilities of accomodation, alternatively there are some hotels and B&B in Vallarsa.

Meteo

Meteo Trentino

Guidebooks and maps

Piccole Dolomiti Guidebook

“Piccole Dolomiti – Pasubio”, Gianni Pieropan - Collana Guide dei Monti d’Italia, CAI TCI

External Links

Trentino Grande Guerra

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.