Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.34282°N / 105.62403°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9538 ft / 2907 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Steep Mountain from Hollowell ParkSteep Mountain from Hollowell Park.

Steep Mountain is a high point at the west end of the South Lateral Moraine south of Moraine Park in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. Like the majority of the peaks in RMNP, no trails reach the summit.

Steep Mountain is ranked 122 out of 126 on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List. It is unranked on Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List because the prominence above the saddle connecting it with Mount Wuh is not at least 300 feet (it is 238 feet).

The summit provides great views of Longs Peak and the peaks of the Continental Divide.

Getting There

The easiest approach to Steep Mountain involves starting at the Hollowell Park Trailhead.

Red Tape

Steep Mountain is within Rocky Mountain National Park. Daily as well as annual passes are available.

Camping

Several campgrounds are available in the Park, some of which allow reservations. Backcountry camping is allowed in the Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Reservations are recommended, as some backcountry sites become reserved for the entire summer by March.

Seasons

Steep Mountain can be ascended in all seasons.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.