Viewing: 1-3 of 3
markhallam

markhallam - Nov 9, 2012 1:26 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent article Eric

This is an excellent article about one of the most important drama's in mountaineering history - and, of course, one of the most tragic.

Your article is all the more poignant for you having been in Chamonix at the time the events took place - and for your personal knowledge of the individuals involved.

Thanks for sharing this with us Eric

Best wishes,
Mark

ericvola

ericvola - Nov 9, 2012 3:07 am - Hasn't voted

Excellent article

Thanks Mark.
I should add that as Bonatti wrote when commenting on the conflictual way the 1rst ascent was done four weeks later (totally due to Desmaison and his mates and not to the British-Polish party): 'Oggioni, Guillaume, Kohlman and Vieille had from the start join forces in a brotherly fashion... They died as pure men, for a pure cause,in the respect of an ethic.'
All were true mountaineers in the best sense for whom the comradship of the rope was more important than their personal ambition. And Bonatti who certainly was the very essence of this type of mountaineer understood and acknowledged it very well.

Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Many thanks Eric

This tragedy and all its sharers and their brothership is always in the hearts of all the French and Italian true mountaineers!
cheers
silvia

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'The 1961 drama of the Central Pillar of Freney' main page