The Journey

The Journey

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational

The Journey and the Goal

Every time we set out, to hike, to climb, it seems we are focused exclusively on the goal – the peak, the mountain, the boulder, the summit, the lake – THE THING! And yes, I’m as guilty as anyone, maybe more so. But you know, as I think back over the past few years, the things which stick in my mind more than the “goals” happened along the way. I recollect a surprisingly beautiful vista while driving to the trailhead, morning light on the nearby trees, an elk cow running for cover, marmots playing on the summit, the high-pitched squeak of a pica, and the different flowers growing at different altitudes along the trail.

The more familiar I become with SP postings, the more I realize the same thing is often true for members besides myself. Look closely at the trip reports, for instance. Most of the authors spend more time talking about the events of the trip than they do about actually reaching “the thing.” Sure, each of us post lots of pictures taken on and of the summits or other goals, but interestingly enough, we “talk” about the trip.

I live in the Bitterroot Valley, just south of Missoula, Montana. There is an oft-heard saying by the residents, “Oh, it’s just another perfect day in paradise.” Of course, we’re referring to our lives here and how much we enjoy it. It’s hard to imagine one could find a better place to live, especially when you consider the climate, the scenery, plus having huge areas of wilderness and mountains right at our doorsteps. What a playground!

I think it could prove interesting to have an album dedicated to interesting happenings during your trip to our area’s natural wonders, no matter which is your goal. Let’s see if I’m right.

Please – add your images (with captions).



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
kyledod

kyledod - Jul 20, 2006 2:11 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent

An excellent idea for an album. Many of my favorite memories come from something along the way or coming back from a summit (whether achieved or not). Sometimes trying to achieve a summit can enhance this, like many great sunrises I have seen due to early starts.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jul 20, 2006 3:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent

Thanks for the comment - and the great picture. Where did you take it?

kyledod

kyledod - Jul 20, 2006 2:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent

The picture is on the way to Lolo Peak, shortly before Carlton Lake. The day after the late September storms cleared (a Sunday) last year I went up to hopefully see the larches changing color with fresh snow on the ground and was not disappointed.

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Aug 1, 2006 6:26 am - Voted 10/10

Nice idea

Good idea and already a nice collection of pics.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.