Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.97240°N / 72.0504°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1920 ft / 585 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



View of Mt. Monadnock from the summit Thumb Mountain.

Thumb Mountain
is another classic climb in New Hampshire Monadnock Region. The mountain features an amazing view of Mt. Monadnock to the south. I would argue that this mountain has the best view of Mt. Monadnock's northern slopes in all of the Monadnock Region.

This mountain is not as well known as neighboring Skatutakee Mountain so traffic on it will be less. The main trail to the summit of Thumb Mountain is by the Thumbs Down Trail which starts from the Harris Center . The Thumbs Down trail stays at a grudual to moderate class 1 ascent until reaching the trail intersection with the Thumb Up trail. Just feet past that intersection the trail ascends it's only steep section-minor scramble and then continues at it's gradual to moderate pace to the summit.

Often this mountain is combine with Skatutakee Mountain as a loop hike from the Harris Center . All the trail in this loop are class 1 and there is no preference in ascent or descent route.

Personally I would go up Skatutakee Mountain first because the view is not quiet has good as Thumb Mountain. If you go the other way you might feel a little cheated.

Getting There


VIA THE HARRIS CENTER: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Parking will be just beyond the Harris Center, or (if you ask a Harris Center member) the Harris Center parking lot.

VIA THE CADOT TRAIL: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Take the Kings Highway past the Harris Center and make right on old Dublin Road. Take the old Dublin Road a mile and quarter where the trail is on the right.

Red Tape


Unless on an offseason weekday, parking at the side parking area away from the Harris Center, not the Harris center parking lot.

When To Climb


This mountain can be climbed at anytime. However I would advise bringing yaltraks, snowshoes and/or crampons during the winter. This would make a great snowshoe hike!!!!

Camping


There is no need to camp on this mountain because it is no more than a class 1 (3 mile hike). However if you are interested in camping in here contact the Harris Center for more details.

Mountain Conditions


Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Thumb Mtn. . Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions




Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather near Thumb Mtn.

Weather in Nearby Hancock

Summit Picture Log


Post all hero pictures here!!



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks