Western Kokshal Tau (Kakshaal Too)

Western Kokshal Tau (Kakshaal Too)

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 41.05450°N / 77.37671°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 19626 ft / 5982 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kokshal Tau (Kakshaal Too) region belongs to the great Tien Shan mountain range. It is located on the border Kyrgyzstan with China, between Lake Issyk Kul in the north, and the Takla Makan desert in the south.

The uniqueness of these mountains is the insignificant exploration. A lot of peaks, still has not been conquered yet.

The highest peaks of the range is Peak Dankova (5982), Pik Cosmos (5940) and the Kyzyl Akser (5842) - the highest peak in the western part of the range. The clilmbing to each of these mountains is a real mountaineering challenge.

Kokshaal TooKyzyl Asker massif


Snow line is located on the altitude of about 4000- 4500 meters above sea-level. Valleys of rivers have altitudes 3000- 3500 meters above sea-level. Climate in the valley is inclement. Average monthly temperature equals about 5-8 degrees above zero in summer, weather is changeable.

The primary cause of region's poor exploration is the difficulty access. The access to glaciated valleys is dificult. Unavailability of land caused by the climate and the fact that the area is almost uninhabited - a few people of the region were displaced in the 50s of the twentieth century because of strained relations between the Soviets and China. Political problems have been solved by the government of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan, who in the late 90s released contentious
areas. In this way the West Kokszal-Too has become open to explorers and mountaineers.

But so far in this area to work a little mountaineering expeditions outside the former Soviet countries.






Ridge Map

All prominent peaks are located on ridge map below. Summits marked by flagg are conquered.
Kokshaal Too - Ridge MapKokshaal Too - ridge map

Getting There

The simplest is getting to the region from Bishkek, by car. Road to the region is itself worthy of independent deion. It takes two days, with passing a night in town Narin. The road consists of continuous changing of landscapes through three passes and at the end there is road (if it is possible to name this strip so) along the Aksayskaya valley. After settlement Orto-Kashka-Suu (one dwelling house), at the same place frontier post is situated (the region is frontier zone and it is necessary to order permits beforehand), there is way along destroying road along the remains of wire entanglement, remains of telegraph poles.

Red Tape

External Links

http://aaj.americanalpineclub.org/climbs-and-expeditions/asia/kyrgyzstan/tien-shan/2010-dzhirnagaktu-valley-by-t-owerko/
http://www.kw.krakow.pl/kokshal2010/index.php
http://ai.stanford.edu/~latombe/mountain/photo/kyrgyzstan-08/kokshaal-too.htm

Camping

-

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Tian ShanAreas & Ranges