Yosemite Crack (5.9)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.41550°N / 105.5508°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Digging In DeepDigging in deep where it gets wide.

An amazingly fun crack perfect for introduction into the hands and fist sized crack. Short and sweet, this climb can be top roped easily if you feel insecure leading. A perfect way to spend some time to get to know Lumpy Ridge, or a great cool down crack at the end of the day.
[img::aligncenter:medium:Near the top of the short but sweet 'Yosemite Crack']

Getting There

Since last year, there is now a new parking lot to access Lumpy Ridge. Park here and take the Black Canyon Trail. When the trail branches, stay left the after about 1/4 mile up the trail. Follow higher until you see a climbers access trail and clean sign to Twin Owls. Go to the base of Hen and Chicken Rock, and scramble a short ways west to the base of the crack.


Route Description

An amazing and beautiful splitter hand-jam and offwidth crack on the formation approximately 90 feet left of the main Hen and Chickens formation, (where the trail ends at the base of Twin Owls).
Drew at the TopDrew near the top of the climb.

Crack climb and awkwardly jam up the progressively widdening crack to the top. Depending on your size, this top can even throw a little off-width crack actions. Try to avoid laying back and use good crack technique to ascend the line. Set a belay in the cracks above since there are no bolts. To retrieve anchors gear, simply scramble off left or right. This route is approximately 50 feet.

Essential Gear

A helmet, of course, and the following:

one #2 camalot (yellow)
two-three #3 camalot (blue)
one #3.5 camalot (if you can get your hands on one!)
one #4 camalot (to protect the top moves)
one #.75 camalot and a set of nuts (to set up a belay in the upper cracks)
Beginning of  Yosemite Crack  (5.9)All racked up and starting the climb.

External Links

Mountain Project Page

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.