A'Ghlas-Bheinn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 57.25556°N / 5.30434°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3012 ft / 918 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Falls of Glomach

Falls of Glomach

A'Ghlas-Bheinn is a mountain reaching almost the minimum for a Munro, and a bit overshadowed by the neighbouring Beinn Fhada and Five Sisters of Kintail. However, if we combine its visit with the Falls of Glomach, it makes a very worth day-hike. The Falls of Glomach are UK's (or Scotland's) third highest waterfall after Eas a' Chual Aluinn in Assynt and Glen Nevis's Steall waterfall. But, by the verticality of the drop and the amount of water, they are probably the most spectacular, inspiring rather some Icelandic sights. A'Ghlas-Bheinn is not less interesting, with rocky features, and great views around.

Getting There

 

A Ghlas-Bheinn

View from the top to Loch Duich

Shiel Bridge, the locality near the trailheads on Loch Duich, is accessible by the A87 and A82, via the Loch Lochy junction near Fort William, either if we arrive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. From Aberdeen, it is adviseable to go via Inverness. By public transports, Shiel Bridge belongs to the stops of the autobus going to the Isle of Skye, last before the brige of Kyle of Lochalsh.

View Larger Map

Routes

 

A Ghlas-Bheinn

On the way up

 

A Ghlas-Bheinn

Loch Bhealaich

We park the car in Dorusdain, if we didn't come on foot from Shiel Bridge. The path follows a flat bottom of valley for a short distance and turns right over a footbridge. It joins the footpath up Gleann Choinneachain, in which we head up. As we leave the trees, the trail gets steeper and we gain a significant ascent. Then, as a little waterfall gets in sight, several zigzags lead to Bealach an Sgairne. Here the route differs to the one that leads to Beinn Fhada. We continue on the main path which cuts across the hillside to get to the pass, where stands a large cairn and from where we get a great view back down Gleann Choinneachain and its wild lake Loch Bhealaich. The route leading onto A'Ghlas-bheinn heads north, almost offtracks, avoiding the crags just above the pass and cutting back up to the ridge, over a series of rocky undulations till the summit. The descent continues north, heading steeply down to a saddle below Creag na Soabhie, where two little lakes lie. From here, cut a bit left down the easy slopes, until we join a large path to the Falls of Glomach. This pass is called Bealach na Sroine. A legend tells that people have sudden nightmares there ! A little descent leads to the gorge of the Falls of Glomach ahead. A sign indicates that it is dangerous to proceed further, but most visitors will continue very carefully down to a ledge which has a terrific view of the great falls, where the Allt a'Ghlomaich tumbles in two great leaps down into an awesome gorge. Return back up the path to the Bealach na Sroine, and then on the main path which descends the right hand side of the valley to reach the top of the forest. Cross the bridge and follow the track down the east side of the river, which takes us back to Dorusdain car park.

tour cycliste 413643 - powered by Wandermap 

Click here for a larger map

Camping

 

A Ghlas-Bheinn

On the trail

It is usually tolerated to sleep everywhere in Scottish mountains as long as the location is not in a private property. However bivouacquing is not really needed, unless for the fun, to walk the Five Sisters of Kintail.

Shiel Bridge has an official campsite which makes an ideal base for hiking these mountains as well as many others in the area. There is another one, oh higher standard, in Morvich, not far.

There are also many B&B of all standards in this little location, one will find without problems using Google (the list is likely to change...). The most famous hotel is certainly the Kintail Lodge Hotel, which also has some bungalows for rent, and a famous pub one can savour a nice beer or whisky.