Alexander Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67080°N / 111.683°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an enjoyable and easy to follow trail to the summit of Gobblers Knob. The route lies on north facing slopes and is well shaded, making it preferrable to the south facing approaches from Big Cottonwood Canyon during the heat of the summer.

The Alexander Basin route is one of the two common approaches used to climb Gobblers Knob from Millcreek Canyon, the other being the Bowman Fork route.

Getting There

Refer to the main page 'Getting There' section for directions to the trailhead.

Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 2.25 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,145 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 1,400 ft.

Trailhead Elevation: 7,101 ft.
Summit Elevation: 10,246 ft.

Route Description

From the Alexander Basin trailhead, the trail heads west paralleling the road for a short distance, then turns south as it begins climbing.

The trail remains easy to follow as it continues to climb, steeply at times, in a south-west direction, until it reaches a meadow at approximately 9,000 feet. Here the north ridge and summit of Gobblers Knob come into view.

The trail begins to fade out as it enters the meadow, but a faint track can be made continuing south toward the headwall to the east of the summit.

From the meadow there are two options for ascending the peak. The first option is to continue heading south, then ascend the headwall to a saddle at approximately 9,800 feet. From here turn right (west) and follow the east ridge to the summit of the peak.

Alternatively, one can turn right and ascend the steep slopes on the west side of meadow. Continue ascending the slopes to the ridge crest, then turn left and follow the north ridge to the summit.

Both of these options are steep, but neither present any major difficulties or serious scrambling. The two approaches can be combined by using one for ascent and the other for descent, thereby creating a loop from the meadow.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.