Butler Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67080°N / 111.683°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See getting there:
Big Cottonwood Canyon:
Butler Fork Trailhead

Route Description


4.1± miles one way – 3650’ elevation gain

From the pull off on the left (north) side of the road (elev. 7115) start heading northerly along the stream on a well beaten trail for 0.5 miles to a trail intersection (elev. 7580). Stay Left at the intersection and continue following the trail westerly and southerly through a series of switch backs to a ridge line at milepost 1.65 (elev. 8605). After gaining the ridge line start heading in a northwesterly direction to milepost 3.0 (elev. 9230) and to another trail intersection. Stay Right, and continue climbing to the saddle between Mount Raymond and Gobblers. Leave the main trail and start following the ridge line in a northeasterly direction to milepost 3.8 (elev. 10224) and a false summit. From this point Gobblers knob is just a short hike of 0.3 miles while continuing along the ridge.

Essential Gear


Summer:
Nothing special is required
Winter:
Snow shoes or skis for the main route
Crampons and ice axe for the possible Chute alternatives (see map)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.