Gobblers Knob Skiing

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67080°N / 111.683°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Seen from the SLC valley and just about anywhere in Big Cottonwood Canyon, Gobblers Knob is definatly worth the long climb. Even when this mountain gets crowded you can still find your own line somewhere on this massive mountain. Whether you drop into the Big Cottonwood Canyon side or the MillCreek Canyon side, the run down is sure to please any big mountain skier.
Reynolds PeakTroy skiing down Reynolds Peak with Gobblers Knob in the background.

Skiing Cabin RunTroy skiing Cabin Run
Gobblers KnobGobblers Knob










Getting Up There

1. Start in Big Cottonwood Canyon and park at Butler Fork. Head up this fork till you reach a spot that forks either straight or left. Go left till you hit the pass. Drop off the backside of the pass into Mill A and start your approach to the pass inbetween Mt Raymond and Gobblers Knob. Hit this pass and go right till you reach the summit.
Reynolds SummitTroy on the summit of Reyolds Peak with the most popular route up to Gobblers Knob in the background
Gobblers Knob and Mt Raymond from Patsy MarleyGobblers Knob from Patsy Marley









2. This way is a lot longer. Start at MillCreek Canyon and park at the Porter Fork trail head. Start skinning till you can see the summit. Make a left and start heading up.
Skinning up to the summit of Gobblers KnobTroy skinning up to the North Summit of Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob from the summit of..Gobblers Knob from Grandeur Peak

Decent Route Descriptions

There are many ways to ski Gobblers Knob.............

1. Cabin Run- Located in Porter Fork (pole canyon to be more specific) Cabin Run is one of the finer lines off Gobblers main summit. Any line you choose is sure to please.
Cabin RunCabin Run
Skiing Cabin RunTroy skiing Cabin Run



2. South West Gully- Just off the main summit ridge line dropping into Mill A Fork is a prominate gully known by most as the South West Gully. Best to grab this one on a corn cycle.
Standing on the summitBrad at the top of the SW Gully doing some early season snow evaluations
South West GullyThe South West Gully









3. Hidden Bowl- Hidden Bowl just like the name implies is quite hidden. There are two ways to get here and both involve avalanche hazard. The 1st is to head up to the pass in left Butler Fork and insted of heading into Mill A Fork start acending the steep ridge. The 2nd way is to skin up Butler past the 1st dividing point and then keep skinning till you hit the 2nd dividing point. You should have a change to go left or straight. Go left and do some looking around. Skin straight up the bowl till you reach the ridge.
Hidden BowlHidden Bowl
Gobblers KnobGobblers Knob





Essential Gear

Avalanche knowlage, becon, probe, shovel, partner and common sense. Skis are highly recommended.