Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.3943°S / 44.80356°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8281 ft / 2524 m
Sign the Climber's Log
The summit of Alto dos IvosThe summit.
Alto dos Ivos PeakThe Peak at sunset lights.

Alto dos Ivos Peak, or "High Ivos Peak" if you will, is a mountain of Sierra Fina range, Brazil. Very popular mountain since it is the last summit of the famous traverse, Sierra Fina traverse. The brazilian authority responsible for the mountains registry, IBGE, doesn't document its existence. This is very much wrong, everybody here knows the mountain and its altitude.

That mountain is one of several summits of Sierra Fina range, but at this place, most of the mountains not even have a name. I saw and photographed myself at least ten different summits worthy of a name. But the only ones with a name and the proper registry are:

Pedra da Mina - 2.798 m. (4th highest peak of Brazil)
Pico dos 3 Estados - 2.665 m.
Pico Cabeça de Touro - 2.649 m.
Morro do Tartarugão - 2.631 m.
Morro do Melano - 2.566 m. (it has a name but not recognized by IBGE!)
Pico Alto do Capim Amarelo - 2.500 m.

Getting There

Info view 1 Alto dos IvosInfo view 1
Info view 2 Alto dos IvosInfo view 2


There are 3 possible ways to get to that mountain, and for each one of them, first of all, you have to manage your way to a little city of Minas Gerais called Passa Quatro. From there, get yourself a private transport to one of the spots in red, depending of your choice:

First: SPOT: TOCA DO LOBO FARM: Starting the Serra Fina traverse from the west side. First summit: Alto do Campim Amarelo. This will be just the first of several summits to reach Alto dos Ivos Peak, at the other end of the traverse route.

Second: SPOT: SITIO DO PIERRE: Starting (ending) from the Serra Fina traverse from the northeast side route. First summit you'll get is this mountain.

Third: SPOT: SERRA FINA FARM: A never used route for this mountain: Starting from Serra Fina Farm, hike up to Pedra da Mina by the north side, 1 night. Go from there and be ready for a really tough task, another night atop 3 Estados Peak awaits for you before you can reach Alto dos Ivos.

Red Tape

Walking Stick insect on my handFriendly animal!

Take your garbage with you!!! Respect wildlife at all costs.
Be careful, Serra Fina has a well known problem with water, find a gps archive to get the water spots, you don't wanna run out! During day time it is hot, but at the night, winter time, it can drop to -13°C. Cold!

Camping

View on the way down from the summit...Great views to Picú Rock on the way down from its summit. Good to camp around here too

Camping is permited anywhere you want inside the Sierra, and there are 29 camping spots along the traverse route. Please look for ready camping sites along the traditional trailhead.
Toca do Lobo (a little cave at the beginning of the traverse route at 1.560m high)
5 or 6 camps on the route from Toca do Lobo to Capim Amarelo summit
Alto do Capim Amarelo summit
Maracanã camp site
Valley after Morro do Melano (by the red waterfall)
Pedra da Mina summit
Pedra da Mina base
Ruah valley (coldest place to camp on Sierra Fina)
Small summit after Ruah valley
Base of Cabeça de Touro Peak
3 Estados Peak summit
Alto dos Ivos (the very summit of this mountain)Peak,
Sítio do Pierre
Plenty of places! There are 29 registered campsites along the traverse route.
Summit info view from Mina RockPanorama: east view from the summit of Pedra da Mina. 2.798 m.

Weather Forecast



PS: The weather forecast on this link is not for this mountain but it will do just fine since the mountain from the forcast (Mina Rock) is close enough, around 5kms away. The same mountain range.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

A brazilian website to get mountains info, including gps files to download:http://www.rumos.net.br/rumos/

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 260+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Serra Fina rangeMountains & Rocks