Atlantic to Pacific via Mayflower and Humbug Gulches

Atlantic to Pacific via Mayflower and Humbug Gulches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.42346°N / 106.12355°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Mostly class I & 2, some class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

The Route

Mayflower Gulch Looking east up Mayflower Gulch
This route is approximately 9 miles. It starts at the Mayflower Gulch trailhead, hiking up the road until you reach some old cabins.
willow thrashingThe willows




Turn north, crossing Mayflower Creek and thrashing through the willows, then head up along the east side of Pacific Creek towards the Atlantic Ridge. There are traces of trail(s) in this area.

Atlantic PeakAtlantic Peak

Atlantic RidgeHeading up Atlantic Ridge



After you gain the Atlantic ridge, head east up to Atlantic. There is no clear trail up the Atlantic ridge and you may find some class 3 scrambling. Continue heading east until you reach the Altantic summit.


Pacific TarnPacific Tarn


From Atlantic, head north to Pacific, passing the Pacific tarn. The tarn is just below and east of the saddle between Atlantic and Pacific.



Continue north and reach the summit of Pacific.
On top of PacificOn top of Pacific


Start the descent by heading west, just below Pacific's summit and on the south side of the "notch". There are a few class 3+ moves as you manuever through the notch. Then descend the north ridge of Pacific, either along the ridge or just below it. Just before you reach the saddle between Pacific and Crystal, head southwest as the route descends into Humbug Gulch.
Pacific from Humbug GulchLooking back at Pacific from Humbug Gulch


Follow the stream (you may want to cross back and forth to avoid willows) until you reach the woods on the north side of the stream. Then continue through the woods along the stream and watch closely for a concrete structure in the stream bed around 11,250'. There is a wooden bridge just west of the concrete structure. Cross here and follow the road around the Mayflower Hill Ridge. When the road diverges, always take the lower road. It will eventually lead you to a concrete structure across Mayflower Creek. Cross here and head back to the parking lot.

Map of Route

Atlantic Pacific RouteAtlantic to Pacific via Mayflower and Humbug Gulches


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.