Backcountry skiing in the White Mountains

Backcountry skiing in the White Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

Overview

These photos were taken on two separate trips in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, both in April 2011. The first was on Mt. Garfield and the second on the Mt. Washington Auto Road. I did both tours on an NNNBC setup, which proved to be more than sufficient for the soft spring snow and mostly low-angle terrain I encountered. For the Garfield trip, I did not even need to put on skins - the fishscales on my skis provided sufficient traction even on the steeper sections. On the Auto Road trip, we were forced to turn around at about 5300 feet after encountering strong winds and icy conditions. Even at this elevation, however, the views from the Auto Road are among the best in the White Mountains, in my opinion. In good weather and conditions (which is quite rare), the Auto Road is an amazing ski tour - almost 8 miles of gentle terrain, half of it above treeline! Also, for anyone who might have doubts (as I did), this is completely legal: we encountered several road crews clearing drifts in preparation for the summer season, and none of them gave us any trouble.
more skiing

External Links


Add External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.