NY/NE Mountain Flora

NY/NE Mountain Flora

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora

Plant Life in the Mountains of New England and New York

While there are already a few (excellent) albums devoted to mountain flora in general, as well as related themes like "beautiful trees" and "fall foliage", it might be interesting to collect in one place some examples of all the flora of a particular mountain region.

So, here's an album for all the plants (flowering or otherwise) of New Hampshire's White Mountains, Vermont's Greens, New York's Adirondacks and Catskills, Massachusetts' Berkshires (which stretch into Connecticut), the border-spanning Taconics, and the various ranges of Maine. The goal is to create a complete visual catalogue, spanning alpine, transitional, and forest zones. The emphasis is on identifiable individual plants, not scenery.

Just so we're concentrating on mountain flora, photos should be taken above, say, 3,000 feet above sea level.

When submitting to this album, please include in the caption both common name and species name, if possible, and the location and date of the photo, for easier searching.

 
Mountain Sandwort on Mansfield
featured recent photo


Please do NOT give the exact location of rare wildflowers. To find out if the plant you've photographed is rare in your state, follow the appropriate link off this page

External Links


USDA Plants Database
US Wildflowers
North American Conifers
Northern Virginia Ecology Includes some Southern species not found here, but useful nonetheless.

List of Identification guides (printed books)

Field Guide to Ferns of New England & New York as PDF files. Identification key starts on page 18 of Section 0.

New Hampshire:
New Hampshire Wildflowers Includes photo gallery, illustrated glossary.
Colby-Sawyer College Virtual Herbarium
~10,000 plants in New Hampshire
NH state gov: rare plants

New York:
New York Heritage Program: Plant Guides
Connecticut:
Connecticut Botanical Society Useful illustrated guide to flowers, ferns, and rare species. With decent cross-indexing so you can easily compare similar plants, and with photos and discussion that often focus on key traits for identificaton.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Rob A

Rob A - Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm - Voted 10/10

good idea

I might have a few...but a question what if I don't know the latin name...is there a website where i can find out?
Later, rob

nartreb

nartreb - Jul 17, 2006 1:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good idea

I've added a couple of External Links that may help, but if you know the common name the easiest thing is usually to enter that into Google or Wikipedia - you should find the Latin name quite quickly.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.