NY/NE Mountain Fauna

NY/NE Mountain Fauna

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Wildlife

Animals of New England and New York

While there are already a few (excellent) albums devoted to mountain fauna in general, as well as related themes like "butterflies" and "little critters", it might be interesting to collect in one place some examples of all the fauna of a particular geographic region.
Carrigain Birdfeatured recent photo

So, here's an album for all the animals (including mammals, birds, insects, even fish) of New Hampshire's White Mountains, Vermont's Greens, New York's Adirondacks and Catskills, Massachusetts' Berkshires (which stretch into Connecticut), the border-spanning Taconics, and the various ranges of Maine. The goal is to create a complete visual catalogue, spanning alpine, transitional, and forest zones.

Just so we're concentrating on mountain fauna photos should be taken above, say, 3,000 feet above sea level.

When submitting to this album, please include in the caption both common name and species name, if possible, and the location and date of the photo, for easier searching.

External Links

U. Michigan Animal Diversity Web (aims to cover all animals worldwide)
Butterflies of North America
Online Butterfly ID Guide
WhatBird.com bird identification tool
Birds of Eastern North America
Northern Virginia Ecology Includes some Southern species not found here, but useful nonetheless.
Index of Mammalian Species
USFS Mammal Index

New Hampshire:
NH F&G Wildlife Profiles

New York:
New York Heritage Program: Animal Guides

Comments

No comments posted yet.