Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 41.03868°N / 111.86807°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bair Canyon is one of the many interesting canyons in the Davis County area of the northern Wasatch Mountains. It lies just to the north of Farmington Canyon, and is easily accessed via US 89. As with many of the canyons in this area, scrub oak and mountain mohagany dominate. Bair Creek runs down the bottom of the canyon, and in some areas has cut large washes out of the canyon sides, making the trail a bit sketchy, but not difficult. This is a very popular place, so making sure you are on the right trail is important. There are many little cut-offs here and there, some are game trails, some are shortcuts to the creek, some are dead ends, so be careful. Even though you are not in a remote area, and there are plenty of people around, this is still a very rugged area. The trail is a haven for rattlesnakes, and have been seen as far up as the top of the ridge.

The canyon was named after John Bair, and early settler in the Fruit Heights area. He owned a sawmill in the approximate location of the present day Rock Loft.

The canyon is known most though as the route of the famous Crazy Bob's Bair Gutsman Race. This trail running race has been going on for over 30 years, and is not to be taken lightly. It starts at an LDS church 1 mile south of the trailhead to the canyon, runs up the canyon to the ridgeline about a mile north of the radar towers on Francis Peak. It then follows the road south of the towers to the top of Farmington Canyon. Distance is between 11-12 miles, and must be finished in 5 hrs or less.

The trail starts at and elevation of around 4,900 ft, and climbs approximately 4 miles to an elevation of 9,100 ft at the ridge top road. The final .75 miles to the top of the canyon and ridge is the steepest. This area is know as Heartbreak Hill. Maps show some switchbacks, but I couldn't find them, and the only trail I saw and used, goes straight up the ridge. It's more of a wash than anything.

It's a great canyon to hike up if you are bagging any of the peaks in the area, such as Thurston or Francis. There are great views west over Farmington Bay, and east into the Morgan Valley.It's not technical in anyway, but it is strenuous and I would recomend hiking it in the spring and fall months. Summer is nice too, but start early before the sun hits you.

Getting There

Coming from Salt Lake City, take I-15 northboud merging onto US.89 near Lagoon Amusement Park in Farmington. Continue north past the Cherry Hill Water Park to the light at Nicholls Rd. Turn right, and head east to Mountain Rd.and turn left. Continue north and turn right onto EastOaks Dr. This winds up into the foothills to the east, to 1800 E. Turn left. This road deadends, with a trailhead sign on the right pointing to the east. Follow this road up to the side of a house to the parking next to a water tank. The trail starts on the north end of the parking lot.

Red Tape

None that I know of. There is private property and houses in the area. There are no parking or trail fees.

Camping

Overnight camping is allowed in the canyon. The trail passes several sights the first 2.5 miles.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.