Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 40.85263°N / 111.9109°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North Canyon
If you're looking for a quick hike after work, or a great snowshoe, North Canyon is a great start. This gem is located in the northern Wasatch Mountains, just south of the city of Bountiful, Utah. It is easy to get to, and is close enough to the urban areas, it can be enjoyed all year. There are alot of houses around the trailhead parking area, but once you're on the trail for 1/2 mile or so, you'll forget the city life. It's a popular area for moountain bikes in the summer, so watch out. Snow shoeing in excellent, and you will likely be alone if you choose the right day. Moose and deer are abundant in the area, as the canyon serves as a drainage for the Session Mountains.
North Canyon Trail

Route
Starting from the trailhead parking area, the trail is actually an access road to private property that is posted on both sides of the road. There is only one dilapidated shanty about 1/4 mile up from the TH. It's a gentle climb up through the woods. After about a mile, you come to the actual trail for North Canyon. This is a main trail to Rudy's Flat, which sits on the ridge to the southeast overlooking City Creek Canyon. It's approximately 3.35 miles from the parking area to Rudy's Flat. At the flat, the trail joins with the Mueller Park and City Creek trails. There is also a trail that heads up the ridge to the east over to Burro Peak. This ridge extends east to Grandview Peak. North Canyon is a great option for a starting point to bag this peak, although it would be a rough route and long.

Once on the the actual trail, you get up into the typical Wasatch Mountain forest of oakbrush and pines. You can access the south side of Cave Peak at this point. Before that, if you try climbing to Cave Peak to the north, you would be trespassing. After a 1.5 miles, the trail climbs slightly up the north ridge of the canyon, then meanders easterly and back down to the creek where it crosses over on a foot bridge. It then starts switchbacking up the south ridge. At mile 2, the trail turns east again as it heads to Rudy's Flat. In the winter, you can find one of these ridges leading up to the south to access Dude BM, or continue on to Rudy's Flat, then follow the ridge top for approximately 1.25 miles west to the summit of Dude BM.

Getting There

From I-15 nortbound, take the the US 89, exit 312. This will take you onto Beck Street(US 89) heading north east of I-15. Follow this as it turns northeast. At the first light, turn right onto S. Orchard Drive. This will take you to a round-about, where you will continue straight on E.Eagle Ridge Drive. Follow this road as it climbs up through the neighborhoods abouve North Salt Lake. It has alot of curves, but just stay on the main road.The road eventually turns east and turns into Bountiful Blvd. Continue along this until to come to Canyon Creek Drive on your right. It is approximately 3.9 miles from turning onto S.Orchard Drive to this point. Once onto Canyon Creek Drive, just follow it to the end, about .75 mile. Park here or anywhere along the road.

Red Tape

North Canyon Route
In the winter, do not park right at the TH sign. It is a turn around point for snowplows. There are some signs that say to park at a certain distance along the road. Be mindful of the private property in the area at the TH. Once on the dirt road, private property is on both sides and clearly marked. Please adhere to these postings.

Camping

Camping is allowed once past the private property signage; about 1 mile from the TH. There are no designated camp spots, so be mindful of where to camp. Rudy's Flat is also a place to camp. Fire restrictions apply as dictated by the conditions.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.