Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.86033°N / 118.52134°W
Additional Information County: KERN
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7926 ft / 2416 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baker Peak 12-06-2008This is a view of Baker Peak, and Baker Point taken from Sunday Peak on 12-06-2008. You can use the same trailhead for both though I didn't. I parked by the ridge for Baker, and then drove the short distance to the parking area for Baker Point.


Baker Peak is an entertaining hike with a variety of challenges. This hike is 2 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 500 feet. From the parking area you hike North to gain the North-South ridge. After you gain the ridge continue North starting on the East side of the ridge. You will need to stay on the ridge, but continually choose the best side to traverse the rock outcroppings either the West side (left) or the East (right). One way is better than the other and choosing the wrong way is no big deal but it means that you need to rock-hop amid very dense chinquapin. There are quite a few false summits so be patient. You will come to a rock formation at the top of the ridge. It is a simple class 2 climb up the highest rock to the register. You will have an awesome view of Baker Point when you get up there as well as a broad expanse of the Kern River Valley.

Baker Peak 05-25-2009This is Baker Point from Baker Peak. 05-25-2009


Getting back is as simple as following the ridge South back to the car. It is fun at this point to continue down the road .3 miles to the East where there is a parking area and a maintained trail for the Baker Point Lookout. You can also head back to the paved road, and if you keep going instead of turning on the paved road then you will reach the turnoff to Tobias Peak/Lookout which has an attendant.

Getting There

From Wofford Heights take SR 155, 7.7 miles to Greenhorn Summit.

~I-5 North to Bakersfield, exit 178 east. Go to Lake Isabella and exit on SR155, follow signs to Wofford Heights.

~From Ridgecrest, Hwy 14 to 178 west, follow signs to Kernville, then go west on 155 to Wofford Heights.

~From 99 southbound, take 155 east to Greenhorn Summit, turn left on 24S15.

~It is also possible to take Rancheria Road from Highway 178 in Rio Bravo near Bakersfield though it is a dirt road for much of the way.

Baker Peak 05-25-2009This is the ridgeline that leads to Baker Peak from the place where I park. 05-25-2009


Take FSR 24S15 past the sand shed for 15-20 minutes on the dirt road. The road will dead-end into paved road 23S16 where you turn right. The paved road will wind around for about 10 minutes. You will drive down some switchbacks into a valley where you will see Tyler Meadow at the bottom. Keep going for 3 or 4 minutes until you see a junction with 24So2 which leads to Baker Peak on the right, and 24S24 which leads to Tobias Peak on the left. Turn right and stay on the dirt road (avoiding all turns off the main road) for about 8 minutes (2.9 miles) where you will park at the point where you see the ridge that leads to Baker Peak (I put a photo there so you can see it). If you follow this road to the end (.3 miles further) you will be at the trailhead to Baker Point. You can hike back to the ridge from there, or you can drive the .3 miles back. One thing about this road is that the bushes tend to stick out somewhat which means that as you drive they will rub on your paint. It's not too bad, but I thought that you should know.


View Larger Map

Red Tape

This is not a wilderness area, so permits are not required.

Greenhorn Ranger District
4875 Ponderosa Drive
P.O. Box 3810
Lake Isabella, CA 93240
(760) 379-5646

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
(559) 539-2607

Camping

Evans Flat, Alder Creek, Frog Meadow, Panorama, Rancheria Rd. & Cedar Creek.

Camping & other lodging is also available in nearby Lake Isabella, Kernville, and Wofford Heights.

I would recommend camping at either Frog Meadow or Panorama Campground.

External Links

Weather from the National Weather Service

Webcams

Lake Isabella Online

Seasons & Conditions

Season: The normal route via road 21S15 is closed during winter, so access from there is May through October.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Greenhorn SummitMountains & Rocks