Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.70679°N / 118.56071°W
Additional Information County: KERN
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7091 ft / 2161 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shirley Peak is located on the Greenhorn Summit near Lake Isabella, California. Shirley Peak is adjacent to Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows which is a snow park in the Winter. Trails and roads in the area are often used by hikers, mountain bikers, as well as the OHV community. To climb Shirley Peak one must first follow the directions to reach the parking area on the Greenhorn Summit.

From the parking area(6770') you will see a marker on the East side of the road (as shown in the photo). Just past the marker is a fork in the trail, but take the right fork and stay on the overgrown road. Follow the overgrown road for about .1 of a mile and then climb due Northeast.
Shirley Peak 08-09-2009The trailhead for Shirley Peak though the trail is overgrown. 08-09-2009

As you climb Northeast cross-country amidst dense trees you will cross a paved road, and then a dirt road. The summit (7091') is a pile of rocks, and there is no register there.
Shirley Peak 08-09-2009The dense trees and undergrowth are really nice. 08-09-2009

The hike is 1 mile round trip with an elevation gain of 321 feet. You can either head down Southwest through the trees the way you came, or you can climb down 1 mile and do Cooks Peak which is on the same ridgeline as Shirley Peak.
Unal Peak 08-09-2009I took this photo of the Alta Sierra section of the Greenhorn summit from Black Mountain Point on August 9th, 2009.


Getting There

From Wofford Heights take SR 155, 7.7 miles to Greenhorn Summit.

~I-5 North to Bakersfield, exit 178 east. Go to Lake Isabella and exit on SR155, follow signs to Wofford Heights.

~From Ridgecrest, Hwy 14 to 178 west, follow signs to Kernville, then go west on 155 to Wofford Heights.

~From 99 southbound, take 155 east to Greenhorn Summit, turn left on 24S15.

~It is also possible to take Rancheria Road from Highway 178 in Rio Bravo near Bakersfield though it is a dirt road for much of the way.

From the sand shed on the Greenhorn Summit take Rancheria Rd. South for 3 miles to Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows parking lot. Drive .3 miles past, and you will see a small dirt parking area. You will see the trailhead on the East side of the road.


View Larger Map

Red Tape

This is not a wilderness area, so permits are not required.

Greenhorn Ranger District
4875 Ponderosa Drive
P.O. Box 3810
Lake Isabella, CA 93240
(760) 379-5646

Tule River Ranger District
32588 Highway 190
Springville, CA 93265
(559) 539-2607

Camping

Evans Flat, Alder Creek, Rancheria Rd. & Cedar Creek.

Camping & other lodging is also available in nearby Lake Isabella, Kernville, and Wofford Heights.

External Links

Weather from the National Weather Service

Webcams

Lake Isabella Online

Seasons & Conditions

Season: The normal route is closed during winter, so access is normally limited to May through October.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Greenhorn SummitMountains & Rocks