Blencathra

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.63995°N / 3.04977°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2847 ft / 868 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Climbers on Halls Fell Ridge Climbers on Hall's Fell Ridge
Situated in the North East region of the Lake District National Park, Blencathra, or Saddleback as its also known, is one of lakelands grandest peaks sitting in an isolated and imposing position. To paraphrase the legendary British walker and writer Alfred Wainright: This is a mountain that compels attention, even for those dull people whose eyes are not habitually lifted to the hills. To artists and photographers it is an obvious subject for their craft; to sightseers its influence is magnetic; to the dalesfolk it is the eternal background to there lives, there at birth, there at death. But most of all it is a mountaineers mountain. Blencathra offers numerous means of ascent either by hiking and or scrambling normally from its southern flank. Here there are five main buttresses offering nine means of ascent. The most rewarding of these is a traverse of the justly popular Sharp Edge and Halls Fell Ridges which offer easy Grade 1 summer scrambling or winter climbs. However, care should be taken on the ascent of Sharp Edge in wet and windy conditions.

Getting There

Halls Fell Ridge B&WB&W Halls Fell Ridge
Halls Fell Ridge BlencathraView south down Hall's FellRidge
Blencathra is situated just to the north of the A66 Penrith to Keswick road next to Threlkheld. There is parking at Scales and Threlkeld.

Red Tape

Lone climber Halls Fell RidgeLone climber on Halls Fell Ridge
Gategill Fell RidgeGategill Fell
There is no red tape but please follow the country code and take special care during lambing time in the spring.

Accommodation

Sharp Edge BlencathraSharp Edge
BlencathraBlencathra summit view
There are numerous Hotel, B&B and campsites in and around Keswick. It is not unkown for people to wild camp beside Scales Tarn at the foot of Sharp Edge.

External Links

BlencathraBlencathra from Great End
Lake District Weatherline Lake District National Park Website

Maps and Guidebooks

Map of Blencathra
Explorer OL5 The English Lakes North Eastern Area 1:25000 Alfred Wainright: Pictorial Guide to the Northern Fells

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks