Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.46470°N / 3.2765°W
Additional Information County: Cumbria
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2060 ft / 628 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wastwater and The Screes from YewbarrowThe Screes and Wast Water from the top of Great Door

Yewbarrow SummitYewbarrow Summit

Yewbarrow is a mountain of distinctive shape set amongst the high fells in the Wasdale valley. When viewed from Wast Water its shape appears like an upturned boat making it easily identifiable from the drive into the valley. The top of Stirrup Crag forms a second summit 616 metres high, half a mile north of the main summit.

The name is derived from the past prevalence of yew trees on the fell and its "barrow" shape.

Getting There

Yewbarrow is located at the end of Wasdale Head on the south western side of Lakeland with access only by a narrow minor road to the west. Wasdale is signposted from Gosforth.

To get there from the east, follow the A66 past Keswick and to Cockermouth. At the Roundabout in Cockermouth turn left to follow the A5086 to Egremont and then the A595 to Gosforth.

Red Tape

No Red Tape.

Camping

The top of Bell RibBell Rib

There are two campsite in Wasdale Head just a mile away to the east.

Another campsite is located about 3 miles to the south west at Nether Wasdale.
Yewbarrow from MosedaleYewbarrow from Mosedale

External Links

Information and Photos on Yewbarrow.

Routes

Routes up YewbarrowRoutes up Yewbarrow

Route 1 - Blue
This is the main (and best in my opinion) route up Yewbarrow. Starting at Overbeck Bridge, it follows the south western spine up towards Bell Rib. Once you arrive at Bell Rib then things get a bit more interesting! The route up is an exciting scramble of roughly grade 1 (some loose scree so take care) right up to the top of Bell Rib - and when you arrive there the views are tremendous.

Route 2 - Green
This is a longer ascent which takes you up the Over Beck valley. The start is more gentle and takes you up to the northern tip of Yewbarrow just below Stirrup Crag. The ascent of Stirrup Crag is an exciting easy rocky scramble.

Route 3 - Red
This is the most direct route to Yewbarrow from Wasdale Head but is by far the steepest! The last part of the route up to the col just below Stirrup Crag is on loose scree and very steep.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks