Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.16161°N / 6.02353°E
Additional Information Elevation: 1833 ft / 559 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Completing the mighty three high peaks of the countries of the Ardennes (or starting it whichever your perspective) is the lofty Buurgplaatz, and at 559m is the highest point of tiny Luxembourg. Like its countries borders its a small, and like its countries' reputation, pleasant and rather inoffensive. Even less so than its' Dutch and Belgian counterparts, this really is a hill and nothing more than a mere bump squeezed into the very top of Luxembourg. Located near to the village of Troisvierges this peak certainly shouldn't occupy a full international expedition - but if you're in the the area - then why not? A car or bus can drop you near the roadhead from where a small country lane leads you up to the tower that marks its summit point. Climbed more by passing farmers than mountaineers, the surrounding countryside merely rambles downwards but then only just - as if it can't be bothered. Its a quiet area and a pleasant part of Luxembourg - give it a go!

Getting There

If coming from Luxembourg take the A6 northbound that becomes the E25 and merge onto the N854 at junction 53. Move onto the N874 and follow it until a left turn on the N12 to Troivierges. From here the Buurgplaatz is only a short distance away (not sure of village name but will get it). Should only take about 1.5 to 2 hours. Alternatively, a better option is the train direct from Luxembourg to Troisvierges and from there a local bus will drop you at the road leading upto the tower. If you're quick you will be able to catch the same bus leading back to Troisvierges (probably still empty)! The walk up will take no more than 20 minutes - even if you're not acclimatised!

Red Tape

Nothing needed!

When To Climb

An all year round peak - best when its sunny!

Camping

In Troisvierges there are one or two places to stay. However the Youth Hostel here has closed down. For budget scumbags like myself a night on the bench outside the station will suffice if you've missed the last trains onwards.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
gordonye

gordonye - Nov 6, 2002 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

lat = 50.17, long = 6.03
http://americasroof.com/world/europe-highest.shtml

Joerg Marretsch

Joerg Marretsch - May 8, 2005 5:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The name of the small village 500 meter west of the tower of Buurgplaatz is Huldange.

Joerg Marretsch

Joerg Marretsch - May 8, 2005 5:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Latitude: 50° 09' 42"
Longitude: 06° 01' 25"

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - Dec 26, 2008 4:29 am - Hasn't voted

Just a short note

The trouble I'm having with that is: Buurgplaatz is NOT Luxembourg's highest point. Go 1090 m south east and you will stand on Kneiff, exactly 1 m higher. www.gipfel-und-grenzen.eu

rgg

rgg - Mar 29, 2011 6:22 am - Hasn't voted

Buurgplaatz is not the HP

As Wolfgang wrote, the true high point of Luxembourg is Kneiff. Why Buurgplaatz was believed to be the high point is explained very well in this article on the site of the Luxembourg topographical service. Here's a picture of Kneiff:

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.