Chinaman’s Peak (Ha Ling Peak)

Chinaman’s Peak (Ha Ling Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.06482°N / 115.40067°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7897 ft / 2407 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This Peak offers a mutitude of ways to the summit, it is easily scrambled in an afternoon and is a fine 1/2 to full day rock climb. Its proximity to Canmore make it a popular destination and a good training hike. The trail head is about 10 minutes drive from downtown Canmore but can be made more challenging by mountain biking to the parking lot. You will see all levels of hikers on the normal route (3 hours round trip) but the Northeast and south side offers a challenge for rock enthusiasts. 5 1/2-6 hours car to car. information from nartreb - May 08, 2005 2:52 PM "Ha Ling was a railway worker who bet someone he could climb the mountain in a certain amount of time. He set a record and won his bet." Source

Getting There

Head out of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Trail past the Grassi Lakes to the Goat Creek day use parking. Cross the road and you will find the trail head on the other side of the dam. From there it is a very direct upward climb to the summit. First hour in the woods the next on fairly solid scree. For rock route you will have to park at the dam. Cross it and climb a fence on the other side. From here follow the trail up though a small stand of trees to the base of the wall and follow this till you reach the beginning of your selected route.

Red Tape

This is a day hike and there are no fees involved. There does not seem to be any issue crossing the fence. Leave no trace and do no damage and this will no doubt remain that way.

When To Climb

All seasons but more popular in summer.

Camping

There are campground in the area if desired Spray Lakes West Shore Campground has 50 sites (403) 591-7226

Mountain Conditions

Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533 Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277 www.weatheroffice.com or (403) 762-2088 for weather reports Beware of the the weather conditions and dress accordingly. Note there is some scrambling near the summit. If the weather turns these can ice up and people can injure themselves. This route and many others are well described in the guidebook Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies by Alan Kane.

The Alpine Club of Canada

Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone. http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/ Staying at the club in Canmore is 18$ Canadian for members and 19$ for non-members. It can get quite crowded in the summer so a reservation is recommended.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.