Complete Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11280°N / 115.0969°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Aid Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 4
Additional Information Grade: IV
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A complete traverse of all 5 Grandjean's summits is one of the Sawtooth Range's top climbing feats. Perhaps only climbing Baron Spire with it's bolt ladder and stiff climbing could rank as a more impressive achievement. Four of the five Grandjean towers involve 5th class climbing, rappeling, and complex route finding. There are many opportunities to avoid technical sub towers and drop down and around to get to the next summit tower. Staying faithful to the summit ridge would be quite an achievement.
Grandjean Peak from the SW on...

Grandjean Traverse

The west to east traverse will be described here. The West summit is Point 9105 and contains a summit register. Reaching this point involves just Class 3 climbing in very steep terrain. After reaching this point, rappel down to a prominent notch, just east of 9105. From the notch, ridge traverse roped a knife edged ridge (4-5) to the base of the Summit Tower #2. Ascend this tower (low 5th) and rappel down the other side. Traverse the ridge again and make a similar push up and over Tower #3. Tower # 4 is the next obstacle and it will require 3-4 pitches from the base to get up. Double rappel the other side and ridge traverse an exposed and loose section to the base of the 5th and tallest summit tower. Depending on the exact line (there are variations) the climbing on Grandjean's true high point will be 5.4-5.7. The ridge leading up is knife-edged and could cut the inside of your leg (it's happened). Rappel 1 rope off the east side as you gaze at Tohobit and Warbonnet. Scramble east and north through rocks, brush, and scree to reach Baron Creek.
Grandjean s High Point 9144

Getting There

From the trailhead hike South along the Grandjean trail for 1 1/2 miles until it reaches the South Fork of the Payette River. Take the Baron Creek fork to the East (left) and continue up the trail for approximately 1 mile for the 9105 scramble. Look for the avalanched hillside with a path coming down from up and to the left (east). Cross Baron Creek where you can- can be very difficult in high water. For the 9144 climb, continue 3 miles past the first junction near the South Fork Payette / Baron Creek Trail split.
Grandjean Peak

Essential Gear

-2 ropes -rack of nuts, cams -runners -many, many leave behind slings or cords -pitons (assorted selection) -hammer -helmet -ice ax / cramp-ons if early season -a camera to document
Unclimbed Pinnacle #4



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.