Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.15500°N / 114.6772°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 2749 ft / 838 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Conical Peak is located about 90 miles southeast from Las Vegas and is the nearest mountain to Laughlin (third biggest hazard center in Nevada after Las Vegas and Reno) and Bullhead City. It isn't very high, but it seems to be high especially as seen from some parts of Bullhead City and it is preety good challenge in summer months because of high temperature (and rattlesnakes :) ). If you love desert hiking (like me:) ) - you must get there . From the summit in clear days (and good weather is always in summer) you may see all Laughlin, Bullhead City, Newberry Mountains (with Spirit Mountain), New York Mountains (with Mt. Manchester), Black Mountains in Arizona and Colorado River with Lake Mohave. Conical Peak is good test before harder desert trip on Spirit Mountain.

Conical Peak in the morning

Getting There

Climbing
The best startpoint is from crossroads of Needles Highway and Bruce Woodbery Drive (both in Laughlin). Needles Hwy is accessible from State Highway 163 (from Las Vegas). On this crossroads turn right on unpaved road going to a little concrete dam. If you have a car, you have to park here (but more safe place is library parking about 100 meters from crossroads). Dam is normally closed to visitors, so you have to walk around the fence. Follow the unpaved road to its end. There is no trail to Conical Peak so further way depends of you. Generally go west.
There is another way to Conical Peak (probably shorter) from north, directly from State Highway 163, but I didn't try it. That way seems to be more steep.

Red Tape

Return way
There is no red tape. In summer take plenty of water because temperature is about 110-125 degrees. There is a spring at the begining of trip, but I didn't trust it :)

Camping

There are some places to camp, but I advice to spend a night in one of the Laughlin's casinos :)

External Links

Laughlin Nevada Visitor Guide

When to climb

Conical Peak is accessible all year. The best conditions are in spring and autumn, but in my opinion - if you want to feel real desert adventure - the best season is summer.