Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.25450°N / 115.64975°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 8597 ft / 2620 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cathedral Rock
Waterfall
Cathedral Rock rises majestically over the community of Mount Charleston. It rises 1000 feet with one of the easiest hikes in the Spring Mountains.

Getting There

Take HWY 95 North from Las Vegas. Turn left on HWY 157 (Mt. Charleston turnoff). Follow this HWY all the way (18.5 miles) until it ends at the Mt. Charleston lodge. Park in front of some stairs on the right side of the highway. This is the trailhead.

Red Tape

No permits, fees, or passes are required to climb the mountain.

The mountain is open and accessible year round.

When to climb

This mountain can be climbed year round. The trail might have lots of snow on it during the winter months.

Route

Route for Cathedral Rock
This trail goes up all the way for 1.3 miles. Along the way the trail passes through pine, , fir and aspen. Winter avalanches make sure nothing tall grows. As you rise up into Mazie Canyon about halfway you will encounter a waterfall on the left. There is usually only a trickle at the end of summer, but in April through early June it has a great flow. The trail then ascends out of the canyon and toward the back side of Cathedral Rock. There is a trail to follow once you reach the base of Cathedral Rock all the way to the summit. Enormous views can be enjoyed of Kyle Canyon and the community of Mount Charleston.

To descend retrace your steps on the trail.

External Links

  • Cathedral Rock Route

  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.