Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 52.13175°N / 3.95106°W
Additional Information County: Carmarthenshire
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1568 ft / 478 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

With a modest height of just 478 metres above sea level, Craig Twrch (Boar's Rock in Welsh) is but a minor hill of the southern Cambrian Mountains. However, what it lacks in stature it more than makes up in character. Craig Twrch takes the form of a broad elongated ridge comprising of six minor summits, which from southwest to northeast are Pant-têg (383m), Esgair Ffraith (415m), Banc Tŷ-hen (420m), Bryn Mawr (474m), Llethr Brith (478m) and Garn Wen (460m). This ridge marks the divide between landscapes of great contrast; to the west the hill gives way to the manicured tidiness of the Teifi Valley and beyond it the coastal plateau of Ceredigion; while to its east it falls steeply into the remoter Cwm Twrch and beyond it the wilder, more impoverished and tranquil Mynydd Mallaen and surrounding hills.

While today the hill is a rarely visited destination, it's position in the landscape made it a once bustling thoroughfare, and it's this fact that makes Craig Twrch such a worthwhile objective. It's undulating contours are littered with ancient monuments, with its oldest reaching as far back as the Bronze Age. The hill in fact appears to have been a place of some significance to the area's Bronze Age people, with numerous burial cairns occupying its highest points. The finest of these is known as Garn Fawr, which is located on Craig Twrch's summit at Llethr Brith. The cairn occupies a commanding position, overlooking Llyn y Gwaith and the Berwyn Forest, and it should be your objective if visiting the area.

Garn Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Craig Twrch (Photo by Nanuls)
Bryn Mawr (Photo by Nanuls)
The second important historical feature is far more accessible; in fact it is a feature still in use today. The Sarn Helen Roman road crosses Craig Twrch on its southwestern flank and is in fact the easiest means of accessing the hill. The road was once the main route between southwest and northwest Wales and its course can still be followed, calling on the various Roman archaeological sites along the way. Craig Twrch appears to have been a strategic crossing point and displays the remains of a watchtower and abandoned camp.

So while an ascent of Craig Twrch could hardly be described as a challenge, a traverse of its ridge is packed with interest. One will find tranquility and a sense of romance here, as they wonder over its rolling features and explore its archaeological remains.

Mountain Conditions

Bryn Mawr (Photo by Nanuls)
This section displays the weather forecast for Lampeter, which is located just to the west of Craig Twrch. This gives a pretty good indication of what the weather will be like on the crag, as both Bosherston and Saddle Head sit at around sea level.

This weather forecast is generated by the Met Office Weather Widget

When to Climb and Essential Gear

Craig Twrch can be visited at anytime of the year, however in poor conditions it may be best avoided as it's very exposed to the elements throughout its length. April to September offer the most reliable conditions and one will need all the equipment one usually carries for a morning or afternoon in the hills, which in Wales means a decent set of waterproofs and walking boots as a minimum.

Banc Tŷ-hen (Photo by Nanuls)
Garn Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Banc Tŷ-hen (Photo by Nanuls)

Getting There

Craig Twrch (SN 665 499) is located in the southern Cambrian Mountains, between the valleys of the Teifi in the west and the Twrch in the east.

It can be accessed by one of the numerous minor roads that come of the main A482, which runs between Lampeter (SN 577 481) in the west and Llanwrda (SN 714 314) in the east.

There is limited parking on the side of the Sarn Helen Roman road near Lluest-y-bwlch (SN 646 480), which takes the form of a small lay-bye created by a cattle grid. Few people visit the hill, so it is unlikely that it will be full, just be sure not to block the cattle grid's gate.

Bryn Mawr (Photo by Nanuls)

Red Tape and Access

Llyn y Gwaith (Photo by Nanuls)
The majority of Craig Twrch is designated as Open Access Land under the auspices of the Countryside Rights of Way (CROW) Act 2000 and therefore there are no red tape or access issues for the most part. However, an area of land between Pant-têg and Esgair Ffraith has not been designated and therefore the public have no right of access here. The public right of way that takes you from the Sarn Helen Roman road towards Craig Twrch's summit runs along the northern edge of this area and so when you start your walk, be sure to stick to this path. Open Access Land is displayed on the Ordnance Survey's Explorer Series maps and therefore it is advised that you consult Explorer Series Map 199 Lampeter if you are unsure as to which areas are accessible and which areas are not.

For climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers, the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) runs a Regional Access Database, which holds mountain/crag specific information on matters of conservation and access, including issues such as nesting restrictions, nature designations and preferred parking.

Regional Access Database

If you are in any doubt about any particular access arrangement, or need to report an incident, you should contact your local BMC Access Representative or the BMC Access Officers for Wales: Elfyn Jones.

Camping and Accommodation

Camping and accommodation is relatively scarce in the local area, although the local towns and villages such as Lampeter and Llandovery do offer something for everyone. For a comprehensive guide to the area's accommodation, see the Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire County Council tourism websites:

www.discoverceredigion.co.uk

www.discovercarmarthenshire.com

Craig Twrch (Photo by Nanuls)

Maps

Open Space Web-Map builder Code
Navigation Maps

Ordnance Survey 1:25k Explorer Series 199 Lampeter

Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger Series 146 Lampeter & Llandovery

Road Maps

Ordnance Survey Tour Series 11 South & Mid Wales

Guidebooks

Sarn Helen: Walking a Roman Road Through Wales Sarn Helen: Walking a Roman Road Through Wales by John Cantrell and Arthur Rylance

A guide to walking Sarn Helen Roman Road, which crosses Craig Twrch. Now out of print but used copies are still available.

External Links

Garn Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Craig Twrch (Photo by Nanuls)
Craig Twrch (Photo by Nanuls)
General

Cambrian Mountains Society

Carmarthenshire County Council

Ceredigion County Council

Powys County Council

Natural Resources Wales

British Geological Survey

The National Trust

CADW

Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments in Wales

Bogs

Bog Snorkelling

Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust

The Wildlife Trusts: Water and Wetlands

Mountaineering and Climbing Organizations

British Mountaineering Council

The Climbers’ Club

Tourist Information

Welsh Tourist Board

Mid Wales Tourism Partnership

Weather

Mountain Weather Wales

Weather from the Met Office

Travel

Welsh Public Transport Information

UK Train Timetable

Accommodation

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Mid Wales Campsites

Maps and Guidebooks

Ordnance Survey

Harvey Map Services

Cicerone Guidebooks

Climbers’ Club Guidebooks




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.