Dave's Deviation

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.76030°N / 116.6823°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: a grunt
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Lunch Rock and headed towards The Trough, Dave's Deviation will be three lines to the right of The Trough. Noticable by the bush sticking out of the crack at about 45'.

Route Description

A beautiful finger crack leading up to a bush (if it's still there) and continuing to a bolted anchor on a small ledge. This is a sustained crack with some serious jamming.
Second pitch stays 5.9 with a cruxy move in the thin crack. Continue onto the face to a belay shared by Jam Crack (to the left of Dave's)
Pitch three mellows to a 5.8 but with a committing move across an arch and eventually find yourself at a belay on The Trough.
Variations to summit abound.

Essential Gear

Pro is very thin up to 2". Nuts and TCUs on first pitch necessary.
Short draws for first pitch, you'll need runners for the following pitch.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

ahughes03 - May 15, 2013 7:39 pm - Voted 9/10

Great link up

Probably my favorite link-up on Tahquitz: Dave's Deviation (P1 &2) Piton Pooper (P1) Upper Royal Arches (P1) - stay in the arching crack, great thin tips with wild exposure!

Deb

Deb - May 15, 2013 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great link up

Yep! My fave too. You get a little bit of everything!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.