Dawson Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35100°N / 117.79°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take Angeles Crest Highway(SR2) to Dawson Saddle. There is parking on the north side of the road. The trailhead is on the south side of the highway.

Vehicle access to this trail is closed durning winter. The highway is closed between Islip Saddle and Vincent Gap.

Route Description


This trail climbs the northwest ridge of Throop Peak. It is about 2.1 miles one way and is the shortest route. Dawson Saddle is at 7903' (2408.8m), providing a gain of just over 1,200 feet. The trail will intersect with the Pacific Crest Trail at about 1.8 miles. Head west (right) towards the summit from this point.


Essential Gear


A decent pair of boots or hiking shoes are reccomended in the warmer months. Crampons and ice axe or other methods of snow travel should be used in winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
banjobonch

banjobonch - Dec 18, 2005 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Hwy. 2 is closed between Vincent Gap and Islip Saddle due to road damage from the winter 2004/ 2005 storms. No reopening date has been provided so this trailhead is only accesable by walking the road from either of the above points.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.