East Couloir - left branch

East Couloir - left branch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.09230°N / 116.1416°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the Getting There section to reach the small lake that sits at the southeast foot of Slab Butte.

Route Description


From below the route is visible as the couloir that cuts through the solid rock at the right-center of the mountain block. It is marked by a large slab of granite wedged above the start and it’s just above the highest point of grass visible in the talus. From the lake head up the talus slope toward the mouth of the couloir. Ascend the opening on the left side, then switch over to the slab edges on the right side to get around the wedged chunk of granite. Scramble up to where the chute splits. The right fork is more defined and goes directly to the ridge. This is a viable route, but once on top it appears one would have to negotiate some ugly rock to reach the summit. Keeping to the left branch of the split puts one on the ridge on the summit side of the difficult rock.

Continue up the less defined left branch by ascending the steep fin-shaped slab edges that are direct and perpendicular to the ridge or take the switch backs on the terraces formed by the broken fin tops that are parallel to the ridge. These are slightly to the left up a more or less flat face. Either way the granite slabs are moving so watch your step. Once the ridge is reached it’s an easy scramble over various sized boulders and slab edges to the summit.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.