South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.09230°N / 116.1416°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the Getting There section to reach the small lake that sits at the southeast foot of Slab Butte.

Route Description


From the lake climb the bowl to the to get on the ridge that runs south from the mountain. The most direct path is to take the run from the bottom up to the right, which is against the talus and lower rock slopes of the mountain. This run will reach the low point of the ridge where it connects to the south edge of the mountain. There will be some brush to negotiate. Climbing the bowl to the left center, and on the rocks left of the brush will be easier to start, but climbs to a slightly higher point on the ridge. There are really many ways to go.

The south ridge of the summit itself is a rugged boulder pile with fractured slabs of granite standing on edge. The right side is impassable for much of the way. It is best to scramble this ridge just to the left or west of center where some fairly easy, but occasionally challenging scrambling can be had. Continue to the summit, which is the only small area of level ground on this mountain.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.