Eastern Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.61010°N / 11.76790°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble / Ferrata
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: KSC-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Sass Rigais map

Take the Brenner motorway A22 to the exit of Waidbruck (Ponte Gardena). Turn onto S242 east either to St. Ulrich (Ortisei) or St. Christina. From St. Ulrich you can take the cablecar to Seceda (2518m), the westernmost summit of the Geisslergroup. From St. Christina you can take the lift to Col Raiser (2102) on Cisles Alpe. From both cable cars you need to hike to Col de Coi (2301m), where the trail into Wasserrinnental (Val Salieres) starts.

Route Description

Altitude gain: 1000m from Col Raiser
Duration 1h 15min
Trailhead: Forca Salières (2696m)

This is the old normal Ascent route and quite popular. It is usually combined with one of the other routes to form a neat circle.

Langkofel
Langkofel from Val Salières

From the Col take the right (eastern) trail (signs: Ferrata, Klettersteig) and head for the deep gorge between Sass Rigais and Furchetta, which is called Wasserrinnental (Val Salières). The trail turns right to the base of Furchetta and the winds upwards to Forca Salières (2696m) which separates the two giants.

Now turn left through a couloir towards a large 10m step, which can be surmounted with the help of cables and spikes. This is the most challenging part of the ascent. The remainder of the trail leads over ledges and boulders (where neccessary always secured by cables) to the summit.

Essential Gear

Hiking gear and a ferrata set (harness, two short ropes with carabines) are sufficient. A helmet might be useful.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.