Southwestern Ascent

Southwestern Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.61010°N / 11.76790°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble / Ferrata
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: KSC-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the Brenner motorway A22 to the exit of Waidbruck (Ponte Gardena). Turn onto S242 east either to St. Ulrich (Ortisei) or St. Christina. From St. Ulrich you can take the cablecar to Seceda (2518m), the westernmost summit of the Geisslergroup. From St. Christina you can take the lift to Col Raiser (2102) on Cisles Alpe. From both cable cars you need to hike to Col de Coi (2301m), where the trail into Mittagstal (Val Mesdi) starts.

A second possibility is to take the motorway to Feldthurns (Valturno) and go east into Villnößtal (Val di Funes). From Zanseralm at its end (or from any of the villages in between you can hike to and through Mittagsscharte (Forca Mesdi).

Route Description


Altitude gain: 1000m from Col Raiser
Duration: 2h 30 min
Trailhead: In Val Mesdi at 2485m

The maintenance of this route has been neglected in former years (I'm not up to date on it's current status) so that the Villnoess route has become more and more popular.

From Col de Coi take the left hand (western) trail through Mittagsschlucht (Val Mesdi) between Sass Rigais and the Fermeda group. Ascend steeply through the debris in this couloirlike gorge until you reach the real start of the trail at 2485m of altitude. The entry is marked by a big red sign.

First you have to climb over a large step in the wall then you reach a rocky ridge which you surmount. Next the trail narrows and winds to a shallow gorge. Climb through the gorge and you reach the southeastern summit ridge. Follow this ridge to the summit (nice exposure).

Essential Gear


Hiking gear and a ferrata set (harness, two short ropes with carabines) are sufficient. A helmet might be useful.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.