Villnoess (Val di Funes) Ascent

Villnoess (Val di Funes) Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.61010°N / 11.76790°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble / Ferrata
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: KSC-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the Brenner motorway A22 to the exit of Waidbruck (Ponte Gardena). Turn onto S242 east either to St. Ulrich (Ortisei) or St. Christina. From St. Ulrich you can take the cablecar to Seceda (2518m), the westernmost summit of the Geisslergroup. From St. Christina you can take the lift to Col Raiser (2102) on Cisles Alpe. From both cable cars you need to hike to Col de Coi (2301m), where the trail into Mittagstal (Val Mesdi) starts.

A second possibility is to take the motorway to Feldthurns (Valturno) and go east into Villnößtal (Val di Funes). From Zanseralm at its end (or from any of the villages in between you can hike to and through Mittagsscharte (Forca Mesdi).

Route Description


Altitude Gain: 1000m from Col Raiser
Duration: 2h 30min
Trailhead: Forca Mesdi (2597m)

In 1983 this Ferrata was established to facilitate the ascent from Villnöß (Val di Funes). It can be reached through Mittagsscharte (Forca Mesdi, 2597m) either from Gröden (Val Gardena) or Villnöß (Val di Funes). Since the maintenance of the southwestern ascent route has been neglected in fromer years this route has become quite popular.

The route starts directly below Forca Mesdi. First the trail winds very steeply along the southern flank of the western ridge. Here you'll find the first cables that lead you through a labyrinth of boulders. Later on the trail heads south and levels more and more until it reaches the southwestern ascent rout at 2760m of altitude. For the remainder of the ascent follow the southwestern route along the southern summit ridge.

Essential Gear


Hiking gear and a ferrata set (harness, two short ropes with carabines) are sufficient. A helmet might be useful.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.