Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.57528°N / 105.40352°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Aid Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13161 ft / 4011 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Touch Me Not Mountain
The Enchanted Circle of Northern New Mexico is composed of a highway that essentially circles around Wheeler Peak. It encompases the towns of Angel Fire, Taos, Eagle Nest, Red River, and Questa. The scenery, setting, and atmosphere of the road are incredible and the outdoor opportunities are endless. Anything you can possibly imagine doing relating to the mountains, you can do here minus big wall climbing. One can participate in fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, rockclimbing, mountainbiking, horseback riding, alpine skiing, cross crountry skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobliling, sleighriding, and visiting the historical city of Taos. The Enchanted Circle of Northern New Mexico truly is a mountain paradise rich with history and scenery, a place that you need to visit.

Fishing

Clear Creek Trail
There are so many possible fishing spots that it would be impossible to name them all so I will just mention the main areas. Popular places for fly fishing are the Red River, both the east and west forks as these are stocked with trout regularly, and the Cimarron River. For the Cimarron river check in at the fishing store in Eagle Nest to see the conditions and what flies to use. Children will enjoy fishing in the many ponds Angel Fire has to offer with Monte Verde Lake being the highlight. There are also many backcountry fishing spots that are both beautiful, isolated, and full of fish. Horshoe lake is a popular fishing destination that is right at timberline at offers extraordinary views. One could also fish beautiful Lost Lake at 11,450 ft. The Enchanted Circle offers literaly endless fishing opportunities.

Hiking

Old Mike Peak
Needless to say when hiking the Enchanted Circle you may want to start off with the highest mountain in New Mexico, beautiful Wheeler Peak. The hiking is not limited to just Wheeler as there are many other peaks and lakes to hike to. Some Peaks that I would recommend are Gold Hill, Latir Mesa, Touch Me Not, Old Mike, and Lake Fork Peak. For some easier family hikes I would recommend Williams Lake, Bull of the Woods meadow, and Clear Creek trail in Cimarron Canyon State Park.It is also nice to hike out of Angel Fire on the Elliot Barker trail system that hikes along a 10,000 to 11,000 foot ridge and offers tremendous views. The hiking in the Enchanted circle is second to none in quantity and beauty.

Skiing

Juarez Run
World Class skiing and snowboarding awaits you at Taos Ski Valley. This 1,295 acre resort offers challenging terrain that can make even the seasoned expert tremble. It is also home to the dry powder snow that makes this area home and they get 305 inches of it a year. Your skiing options are not just limited to Taos. Right down the road you can find Angel Fire Resort. The coolest place to ride in New Mexico and the first place to offer night skiing. Angel Fire has 560 acres of trees, blacks, cruisers, and some awesome terrain parks. Then down the road is Red River. The ski town of the southwest. Red River is a quaint little city and ski resort as everything in the city is within walking distance to the lifts. Red River has 280 acres and a 1,600 ft. vertical drop. If cross country skiing is your thing then head down to the Enchanted Forest cross country ski area located right outside Red River. They have several miles of trails ranging from novice to expert. The Enchanted Circle is the area to ski and ride New Mexico.

Camping and Rock Climbing

Eagle Nest Lake
Camping can be found in the Cimarron Canyon State Park, Taos Ski Valley, and basically anywhere else you want to pitch a tent at least 200 feet away from water. Good Rock Climbing can be found in the Cimarron Canyon and around the town of Red River. Mallete Park in Red River even offers many sport and trad routes. There is also the Questa Dome which offers 500 feet of trad and aid climbing.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.