Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.77698°N / 105.50274°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11000 ft / 3353 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

under construction; please be patient.

Latir Peak Wilderness is one of New Mexico's finest alpine wilderness areas. It is located in the northern portion of the NM Sangre de Cristo Mountains, northeast of the town of Questa, which serves as its most convenient gateway. The wilderness, located within Carson National Forest, consists of 20,506 acres of alpine peaks, tundra, forests, lakes, streams, and meadows. This wilderness area as a whole sees very light visitation even by New Mexico standards. In 2009, I saw entries dating to 1967 in a summit register (in this case a small glass jar with a rusted lid) on Cabresto Peak (12448'), one of the wilderness's major ranked peaks.
Heart LakeHeart Lake


Getting There

The easiest access to the wilderness is from Cabresto Lake which is reachable with hi-clearance 2WD vehicles in dry conditions. From the town of Questa, NM, go east on NM 38 toward Red River. In ~0.7 mile, turn left onto Kiowa Rd (signed for Cabresto Lake) which eventually becomes FS 138. One mile after the left turn, turn right at a T-intersection with a stop sign, again following the sign for Cabresto Lake. Two miles after the T-intersection, the road surface turns to gravel and you arrive at another stop sign. Turn right and continue on FS 138 for 3.4 miles to a sign and left turn for FS 134A to Cabresto Lake. This road is rocky and steep, and although hi-clearance 2WD is likely sufficient in dry conditions, hi-clearance 4WD is recommended. Follow FS 134A for 2.2 miles to a good-sized parking lot where there are picnic tables, outhouses, and views of Cabresto Lake.

More access options coming...

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Camping

Cabresto Lake Campground is the only established campground directly adjacent to the wilderness area. However, this map shows other national forest campgrounds in the vicinity, and this list contains more information about each campground in the map.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.