Essener-Rostocker Huette

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 47.06357°N / 12.30057°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7244 ft / 2208 m

Overview

In the middle of the valley MaurerTal is located the hut Essener-Rostocker Huette on the altitude 2208m. It has an important position because it is located below a pass Maurertörl, 3104m. Over this pass we come on the Salzburg side and in the valley of the river Salzach. The first mountains was build by German Alpenverein in year 1912. After the Second World War it was taken over by a section from Essen. In the year 1966 the hut was substantial widened. In 90`s it was totally renewed. It is very big hut. At the end of the week there are many hikers and climbers. The hut is supplied by cargo lift. If you pay they also drive you a rucksack. There is also a Winter room. The hut Essener-Rostocker is opened the whole year. The people here are very kind.

My opinion: we were there for two nights. First day in the afternoon we hiked to the hut in mighty storm. A worker by a lift drove our rucksacks for gratis with the lift. The food there is very good and you have a wide choice. One of the best huts I have ever been.

In the nearness there is also a climbing garden which is very attractive because it goes over the deep waterrfalls of the river MaurerBach.


Access to the hut

The normal approach to the hut.The normal approach.

For the nromal approach you have to follow the road until Matrei, then the Virgental to the end of the valley to the village Streden, 1403m where there is a parking place. You have to pay 3 euros for one day or 9 euros for one week.

From the parking place you must reach the hut Essener-Rostocker, 2208m over the long valley Maurer Tal. The route is well marked. You will need from 2-3 hours to the hut.

Climbs and treks from the hut

Simonyspitze, 3488m seen from the south side.Both Simonyspitze, 3488m are the most popular ascent from the hut.

There are many climbs around the hut. You can stay here for 5-6 days and you would not climb on all mountains around. Here I wrote some possibilities. For more information check their`s website.

Picco dei Tre Signori / Dreiherrenspitze, 3499m. 6 hours.

Roetspitze / Pizzo Rosso, 3495m. Very long distance. 7-8 hours.

Simonyspitze, 3488m. 4 hours.

Grosser Geiger, 3360m. 4-5 hours.

Grosses Happ, 3350m. 4 hours.

Maurerkeeskopf, 3313m. 4-5 hours. Four summits.

Rostocker Egge, 2749m. 1-2 hours.


Here are mentioned possible passages to other huts.

Clara-Huette, 2038m.


Johannishütte, 2121m.


Kuersinger Huettee, 2548m.

Contact

Contakt the family Steiner: steiner.friedl@grossvenediger.at

An address: Iselweg 11, A-9974 Prägraten a.G.

The hut also has its web page. Here.



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - May 3, 2011 3:55 pm - Voted 10/10

some changes

The aera of the Steiner family as guardians of the hut ended in 2007. Now the guardian is Mr. Thomas Wohlfarth and his team. Opening times of the hut had never been the whole year around, but - in 2011: 14.02. to 07.05. for the ski touring season and 02.07. to 30.09.2011 for the summer season. Details at DAV_Essen It is worth mentioning that the hut is one of the best basis for ski touring in the Eastern Alps I would not name Roetspitze as related peak as it is too far away for a daytrip

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Venediger GROUPHuts & Campgrounds
 
 
Roetspitze / Pizzo RossoHuts & Campgrounds
 
SimonyspitzeHuts & Campgrounds
 
Grosser GeigerHuts & Campgrounds
 
Grosser HappHuts & Campgrounds
 
MaurerkeeskopfHuts & Campgrounds
 
Rostocker EggeHuts & Campgrounds