Faye Luther Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85820°N / 119.861°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jobs Peak lies 6,000 feet above Carson Valley, and while not the highest peak of the Carson range, it is the most prominent peak as seen from the valley. This route follows the trail up Faye Luther Canyon until it fades out then heads up Jobs' South slopes. Because of the elevation gain, most parties will need most of a day.

Getting There

Begin at the Faye-Luther Trailhead, off NV 206, 1.7 miles from NV 88. The trailhead has ample parking. From Carson City, head S on 395, bearing R onto 88 in Minden, and continue S to 206, also signed Fairview Drive. Turn R, and 1.7 miles to the well-signed TH. If coming N on CA 88, after Woodfords, CA, continue 5.9 miles to the Nevada border, continue 1.4 miles to the junction with NV 206. Turn left onto NV 206/Fairview Drive. After 1.7 miles turn left to the well marked Faye Luther Trailhead.

Route Description

From the TH, at the first 2 trail junctions, keep left. At the 3rd, keep right, and stay on what is called the "Interpretive Loop" which works up the canyon, passing a sign that says there is no trail access to Jobs Peak. After a couple miles, the Canyon turns from a westward heading to the north, and the route steepens significantly, following bits of tread, cairns, and stream bed eventually giving way to granite sand (snow in winter and spring). Just continue N until reaching upper Jobs shoulder where the route flattens out some and the summit rocks are plainly visible. Either descend the route, or descend one of the other Carson Valley routes to return to car.

Essential Gear

Sun block, gaiters year around to keep out snow or sand, trekking poles helpful, and water. There are no year round sources of water on the route.

External Links

Faye Luther Trail


Faye Luther Trail Map


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jobs PeakRoutes