Jobs Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85735°N / 119.86153°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

For the adventurous and those looking to ski great lines, a jaunt up to one of Tahoe's most prominent peaks from the Eastside valley floor will not disappoint!

Getting There

While this certainly can be done in spring time conditions (snow line at 8,500ish) it is recommended that the route be done when there is snow covering the Carson Valley floor to reduce bushwack suffering.

Entering Jobs Canyon is no gimme. Be prepared to blaze up desert trails, wander through deer-laden forest, walk through half-completed, ritzy neighborhoods, bushwack through horrid Manzanita, fight your way through awkward avalanche debris and ski beautiful corn/pow lines.

Still wanna do this? I like your style.

The start is somewhat obscure and depending on your negotiating skills, may be shorter or it may be longer.
What you are aiming to find is the Jobs Peak Ranch gated community entrance (http://www.jpranch.com/). There is a trailhead here (marked with a sign) in which you may park your car and begin the trek on a dusty trail through the fine Nevada desert.

Through the Woods


Continue up this trail (respect private property as much as you can) until it blends into a forested area. Descend log steps through a creek crossing and enter a nice neighborhood that is (as of 5.2011) in the process of being built. Walk through this neighborhood aiming for the prominent canyon ahead of you. A discontinued service road (large sign stating DO NOT ENTER) charges through the brush and straight to the canyon. Again, respect private property, but do what you gotta do. Eventually, this forest-overrun road terminates and you must begin bushwacking SW towards the canyon. Staying to either side of the drainage will help to ease the suffering and cursing.
Eventually you will enter the canyon and, depending on the snowline, your difficulties may subside. Skin up this avy-strewn section (icy in the morning) until it widens out underneath the shadow of Jobs Peak.

Route Description

Jaws Couloir
From this point (elevation 8000), you have several options. You can aim for the saddle east of the summit and traverse over or you can take either ridge bordering the obvious couloir in front of you. I personally took the rocky ridge climber's left of the chute and found it to be enjoyable. Find the American flag on the summit and contemplate the easy and worthwhile traverse over to Jobs Sister and Freel Peak.


If you're ready for some action now, head north from the summit until snow and a sharp drop off appears. This is the way to a classic and difficult ski descent straight down the couloir. Stay skier's left for an easier version of "Jaws" or continue straight down for the full value. Crux is a rock step on the bottom half through a bottleneck. You will be able to assess this from the hike in.

Essential Gear

Skis. Trail shoes recommended. P-B-S

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
granjero

granjero - May 2, 2011 8:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Arctostaphylos

Spelling check for our favorite plant on any lower elevation suffer-fest, manzanita! Also, season to do this should have winter added. sweeeeeet

SKI

SKI - May 2, 2011 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Arctostaphylos

Thanks mang, spelling errors are never fun. Winter is a for sure on the route.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jobs PeakRoutes