Giramondo Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.64630°N / 12.84470°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page for the itineraries to the hamlet of Nostra.

Route Description

Saebelspitz / Stallonkofel / Runseck photo_id=122968

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1038m
      - Summit altitude: 2162m
      - Prevailing exposition: W
      - Type: 2h over forest roads. 1h 30min over paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 1200m of altitude gain, 9km distance to the first summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    To be true the data above refer to the ascent from Nostra. Usually you can reach the ridge from the "Karnischer Höhenweg" Trekking Trail in about 30min. Many people actually do this - they make a trekking break to enjoy the "faraway" views from Säbelspitz. Since the trekking trail uses the ridge or runs along north of it the views of the Carnic Alps themselves are limited.

    Follow the Wolayer Tal Valley southward until you reach the Hubertus Chapel. You could also take the car to this chapel. From the chapel the road starts to climb in the direction of Wolayer See and after soem serpentines you'll reach the upper Wolayer Alm. Here turn sharply north-west and follow trail No 03, the "Karnischer Höhenweg" Trekking Trail. It climbs steeply to Giramondopass were you find leftovers from WW I: 90 year old trenches.

    In the pass take trail No. 440 northward which will take you to Säbelspitz and from there on along the whole ridge towards Stallonkofel and Runseck.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.