Good Bye to a Sweet Friend

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.05542°N / 122.5991°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking

Good bye my sweet friend

 
Late day moon over the west Marin hills
Moon over the west Marin hills at dusk
 
The hundred year old griffin
The griffin on Lou's gave
I trudged up to the ridge carrying a shovel. It was a balmy afternoon and I was stopping to take breaths up the steep thousand foot slope. There was something in my backpack. Hadn't anything to eat that morning and little to drink. As I left the van a couple coming down ask me if I was looking for gold in the hills. I told them I was on my way up to bury my cat. They offered condolences but I knew Lou was happy.
Big Rock Ridge was a place he had felt from me over the years when I came back from many hikes up there.
He was no longer blind, suffering arthritus or unable to pee with no kidneys left.
The day before I left him lying on my bed in the sun. He was sprawled out hardly able to move. I told him I was going for a hike. I had already blessed him with holy water and holy ash from the sanctuary of my Spiritual Teacher Adi Da Samraj and surrounded him with orchids that day and the day before.

It was a great bright afternoon in the west Marin Hills as I roamed about the rocky plateau taking pics. Called my sister and told her he was still hanging on when I left. I had considered putting him down if he suffered much longer but knew he was in a quiet safe home environment. Not in a strange hostpital with all kinds of vibes flying around. When I got back he was right there on the bed. I told him I was back like always. When I touched him there was no life signs. He waited until I was gone to leave this world and that was just fine.

My life with Lou

 
 Lou on the deck
A young wilder Lou
 
Lou on the rug
Lou blissful on the rug
Lou was always resigned to my trips to the high county. He knew when I got my stuff together and headed out that he would be alone for a few days with someone to feed him. After all those trips I would come back to a bright being ready to soak up the glow of the Sierra Nevada. I would shower him with love and make sure he was happy with a fresh bowl of food. He was content to rest in my home coming as the days and years past.

He was 7 when I moved into the flat below my landlord. A robust 20 pound fiesty mofo with striking fir and cute white feet and paws. He started showing up on my deck demanding attention. He was the landlords pet but this big cat wanted something from me. He hung with me for a year before I even fed him anything. The landlord gave him over to me because it was natural. One time early on I was holding him and he lashed out and tore into my arm! I flung him across the room! He didn't come back for a few days.
I mean this dude was a powder keg!

One day I got home and he was down by the steps. I reached down to pet him and he just molded to my energy like he was part of me. I knew I had a true friend at hand.
As time passed he got mellower and softer and sweeter. He could always jump up to the bathroom sink to lap water. Then he had to climb into the tub to drink from the fosset there when he couldn't jump up. Finally he drank from a bowl and it was so sweet to watch him take water.

Eleven more years had passed.
He weighted 8 and a half pounds the last time I took him to the vet.

True friends never left your heart

 
Last shot of Lou before I left for the hike
Last photo of Lou
 
Lou s body with a photo of Adi Da Samraj
Lou's body at the burial site with a photo of Adi Da Samraj holding a chihuahua


Us humans are inflicted with ego mind. It keeps us clinging to the hopes, dreams and desires that have now basis in Reality. The mountains and ridges are always there. But our animal friends offer unconditional love because they take this place with a grain of salt and have no problem accepting the inevitable.

While they are here they have something to teach us.

The motor of the universe

 
The kicked back Lou
 
When I put my ear on Lou's belly I would hear the deep motor of the universe. That's some serious purrin'!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Nov 27, 2012 7:39 pm - Voted 10/10

So sorry

:(

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So sorry

Thanks Zee. New cat body for him I'm sure.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 27, 2012 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Bittersweet

When this past summer began, we had three cats. Now we just have one. Galadriel, who'd been with us for 14 years and came to us as a stray, took what seemed to be a stroke in the spring. She became blind and almost totally deaf, couldn't walk well, missed the litter box even though she tried, and was starting to have kidney failure. We made that hard call and let her have peace and an end to the silent darkness that her life had become.

In October, Eowyn, who was only 12, suddenly went downhill overnight. The vet suspected inoperable cancer and said our choices were to let her go or drug her up to make her comfortable for a short time until the inevitable. We decided to let her go, and she purred in my wife's arms as the time came, the first purring she'd done in days.

They are buried beside each other in the yard. Atop Eowyn are the ashes of Ally, who was her best friend but was hit by a car 10 years ago. It had always been my intent for them to lie together, but not so soon.

I even wrote a trip report myself touching on this subject: http://www.summitpost.org/farewell-princess/251770

I'm sorry for your loss of Lou. But I'm also glad he went peacefully on his own terms, and I'm glad you have all the memories.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bittersweet

Thanks a lot Bob. Lou was a great friend and a mentor. As you know the likes of him will never be replaced.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 27, 2012 8:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Lou

Was fortunate to have a human caretaker as loving as you. =) Rest in peace, brave little lion! -Sarah

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 8:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lou

Thanks a bunch Sarah. He's probably flying on the wings of grace as we speak!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm - Voted 10/10

So sorry!

There is nothing like losing an animal friend. I cried for my dog for days after she passed. It's amazing how we get attached to our pets. You were the parent and friend that Lou needed. Thank you for adopting him and providing love and companionship for him. He will linger in your memory forever. I have no doubt he is happy in cat heaven as we speak.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So sorry!

Thanks so much Marc. Lou was, is always with me. That's why I took the extra effort to give him a resting place with the views I always share with us on SP. Up among the heights!

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry to read your story

Thanks Cedar! Lou is no doubt in a blissful state because he lived a blissful divine life. Another like him will find it's way to me when the time comes and I will be grateful for the company!

desainme

desainme - Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm - Voted 10/10

O'Malley went out to my mom's

http://www.summitpost.org/o-malley-refuses-to-step-off/82477/c-152163
Kept her company and purred at the foot of the bed till the last.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 10:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: O'Malley went out to my mom's

That d.
When cats purr they are detached from the physical. They already know how to leave the body. It appears that O'Malley was already alive beyond his bodily state.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

So Sad

I've had my cat for 12 years which she became very sick earlier this year. Fortunately she is still hanging in strong. She is the most affectionate cat I've ever known, even a friend of mine tells me the same thing. So as a cat lover myself I feel for you.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So Sad

Thanks Josh!
Lou is probably in a much better place than he was when he passed out of the physical. I'm happy for him now.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am - Voted 10/10

Sorry to read this

Windsor...
We are indeed, as you said, inflicted with ego mind. Most people think they "own" their pets, but we actually don't. We take care of them and they take care of us for a long period of both our lives.
And when they die, we suffer a great deal...
Hope you can get by this okay, but don't forget about it, keep on the good stuff.
All the best
Paulo

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 29, 2012 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry to read this

Thanks Buddy. My life is that much richer having spent all those years serving Lou.

Tom Kenney

Tom Kenney - Nov 29, 2012 1:36 am - Voted 10/10

Peace to you both

Just lost my last cat, the 3rd generation of a long family. She was 15 yrs, and died of kidney failure. The house feels empty these days...more like a hotel room than a home.

You helped Lou out of this world with compassion, and that's sometimes all we're capable of. May he rest on the golden hills of autumn with the scent of field mice in his nostrils!

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 29, 2012 2:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Peace to you both

Thanks Tom. That a sweet note at the end. I know what you mean. It's strange coming home and having no Lou there to greet.

SJD

SJD - Dec 1, 2012 7:23 pm - Voted 10/10

RIP Lou

You have obviously provided Lou with a full life. Good on you for having the strength to allow him to stay at home at the end of his life. Who is it that said we can measure humanity by the way we treat our animals? RIP little guy.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 2, 2012 5:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: RIP Lou

Thanks SJD. To the best of my knowledge it is optimal in most cases to leave animals to their own process of release in a safe quiet peaceful environment.

Harryk

Harryk - Dec 3, 2012 1:22 am - Voted 10/10

RIP

Sorry to hear about your loss.I've had several cats all saved,and my last one was Louie who lived 15 years.A great friend who brought me way too many presents if you know what I mean.

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12