Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.78343°N / 89.73006°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1850 ft / 564 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Government Peak is one of three high points in the Porcupine Mountains. It is north of Summit Peak and south of the Escarpment. The summit itself is wooded and offers little in the way of views. The trail winds through birches and pines as it climbs. Government rises about 200 feet from the lakes on either side of it. There is a swampy area near the peak, so late summer bugs can be problematic. The remains of an old fire tower and a signpost mark the summit. There is also a backcountry campsite on the peak.

There is no easy way to get to Government as it lies in the heart of the Porkies. The only way to reach the top is the Government Peak Trail. The shortest route is from the Summit Peak parking lot. From there, head north on the South Mirror Lake Trail and then turn right and go east on the Government Peak Trail. This is about 6 miles. Since the peak itself lies in the center of the Government Peak Trail, you may either turn around and head back to the west and south or continue east and make a loop of the park or have someone pick you up at the eastern end of the Union Spring Trail. I recommend doing Government Peak as a part of a backpacking loop in the Porkies.

Getting There

Government Peak is in the center of the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is on Lake Superior and 6 miles west of Silver City.

From the south:
Take US 45 north to the town of Bruce Crossing. There, exit 45 and head west on Michigan 28 to Bergland. You are at the northern tip of Lake Gogebic. Go north on Michigan 64. When you reach Lake Superior, turn off of 64 and go left on M 107. This takes you into the park. From there, just follow the signs to the visitor center.

From the west (including Minneapolis):
Take US 2 east from Duluth. Stay on 2 until you reach Wakefield. Exit 2 there and go northeast on Michigan 28 to Bergland. Again, in Bergland, go north on Michigan 64 until you reach the lake, then head west on M 107 into the park.

Red Tape

A vehicle permit is required and there is a per night fee based on group size: $14 (1-4 people), $28 (5-8 people), or $42 (9-12 people) for backcountry camping. Group size is limited to 12 or fewer people. Fires are restricted to the metal fire rings at designated camp sites.

Camping

There are 63 designated backcountry sites dispersed throughout the park, including one on the top of Government Peak. If you wish to camp at an "unofficial" site, you may do so but you cannot have a fire.

External Links

Michigan DNR site for the whole park:
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=426

Overview of trails:
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/intro.html

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Porcupine MountainsMountains & Rocks