Mount Baldy (Mt. Lookout)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.44797°N / 88.10233°W
Additional Information County: Keweenaw
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1319 ft / 402 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Just the Beginning...

***I WILL ADD MORE PHOTOS AS I GET MORE CHANCES TO VISIT THIS INCREDIBLE PLACE...PLEASE BE MERCIFUL***

 

Mount Baldy
Looking towards the summit from the north, across Lake Bailey.

Overview

Mount Baldy

Mount Baldy (also known as Mount Lookout) is an isolated peak in Keweenaw County, MI near the town of Eagle Harbor. Its proximity to Lake Superior, as well as its relative isolation and incredible view of the entire Keweenaw interior, including Brockway Mountain, Mount Bohemia, Mount Houghton, Mount Horace Greeley, Gratiot Mountain and Mount Ojibway on a clear day, make it a prime destination for those looking for a beautiful hike and some peace and quiet as well.

Not as popular as nearby Brockway Mountain, Mount Baldy gets far fewer visitors because it takes a sturdy 3 mile walk from the parking area to get to the top. The view, however, is no less commanding than Brockway's and there are not all of the annoying crowds as a result the road to Brockway's top. 

Brockway Mountain
View of Baldy from Brockway Mountain in September.

Baldy can be tackled in any season, though spring and early summer are pretty much guaranteed to be buggy and muddy. The summit is fairly barren and has incredible views in all directions. Fall brings with it beautiful color displays, and it appears as though the whole Keweenaw is on fire. Winter is a little more extreme, and the summit can be very windy and icy, but the views are just as incredible!

This panorama begins looking northeast from the summit towards Lake Superior, progresses towards Brockway Mountain (middle distance; due east) and pans past Mount Houghton (distance; east-southeast), then finishes with distant Gratiot Mountain to the southeast.

Getting There

Mount Baldy is located about 3.5 miles ESE of Eagle Harbor, MI.

From the sharp bend in M-26 in Eagle Harbor, take Eagle Harbor Drive due south out of town for about 1/4 mile. On the east side of the road you will see a sign by the Nature Conservancy and a two-track heading into the woods. The parking lot is roughly 1/8 mile or so down that 2-track. Park and start hiking right from the lot, about 3 miles to the top. The trail, which follows a ridge top most of the way, is not marked well but the path is fairly well-worn and there are occasional Nature Conservancy signs along the way to guide you.

External Links

Keweenaw Trail Running Festival: This festival, held in mid-July, includes a "hill run" from Eagle Harbor to the top of Mt. Baldy. (The pic on the homepage was taken near its summit)

Michigan Nature Conservancy: site with some more information on the area around Baldy.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
The Keweenaw PeninsulaMountains & Rocks